Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Morocco Imperial Cities & Sahara Desert - Any recommended itinerary ?

Morocco Imperial Cities & Sahara Desert - Any recommended itinerary ?

Aug 10th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Morocco Imperial Cities & Sahara Desert - Any recommended itinerary ?

Finaly we decided to visit Morocco in September with my husband, my 7 year old daughter, and my 10 year old son. Unfortunate timing, but this is the only time we can do the trip!

A possible itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 (Saturday) - Arrive in Rabat in mid-afternoon. Check into hotel, look around Rabat.

Day 2 (Sunday) - Meknes/Volubilis/Fez. Dinner and overnight in Fez.

Day 3 (Monday) - Fez

Day 4 (Tuesday) - Fez

Day 5 (Wednesday) - Drive to Erfoud or Merzouga. (Recommendations?) we are interested in camel trek..night in desert...sandboard ( here is the full itinerary: http://www.morocco-excursion.com/Cam...in-Morocco.htm )

Day 5 (Thursday) - Drive to Ouarzazate or Skoura. (Recommendations?)

Day 6 (Friday) - Drive to Marrakech

Day 7 (Saturday) - Marrakech

Day 8 (Sunday) - Marrakech

Day 9 (Monday) - Drive to Casablanca for 4:00 flight

Recommendations as to whether I should have a pre-arranged private tour for this? Or should I only have a pre-arranged guide for the desert portion, and then get guides for each city at the hotels?

Any activities/sites that were particularly successful with your children?
Aug 10th, 2014, 01:31 PM

We did a similar itinerary starting and leaving from Rabat. We liked Rabat more than most people seem to and it was definitely worth the time we spent there.

You may find the drive from Merzouga to Ouarzazate (which I didn't find all that interesting) more than you want to do in a day. It may make more sense to stop somewhere near the Todra Gorges instead.

We found late-Sept/early-Oct a fine time to travel. You can find a quick trip report under my name with a few specific recommendations.

Enjoy!
Aug 10th, 2014, 11:09 PM

Agreed, breaking up the last part of your tour to include the Todra area would be good whilst reducing some nights in Marrakesh. You could brave some 'careful' Quad biking in Skoura following the desert rides in Merzouga. A pre-arranged tour should ensure most things progress smoothly. You can find a suggested route below.

http://www.wheelsacrossmorocco.com/m...ion-12-nights/
Sep 26th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

We just come back from our Morocco tour...realy Morocco is such amazing country....thanks everybody for all your help , your advices here on Fodor's were helpful.

Search this Thread