Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Morocco for 2 nights (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/morocco-for-2-nights-1011458/)

colleenbee08 Apr 14th, 2014 03:36 PM

Morocco for 2 nights

DH and I have two nights to spend in Morocco in September 2015. We will go there ( transpo to be determined) from Spain and would like some suggestions from you Fodorites who know….where should we go? We would like to visit the markets, maybe Roman ruins(?), desert camel ride, and stay in a Riad. I realize we may not be able to do the ruins and camel ride, as I really haven't done much research into this branch of our trip yet!

Fra_Diavolo Apr 14th, 2014 07:15 PM

With that limited amount of time I'd suggest flying to Marrakech or Fes (if possible) and spending it in that location. I think the desert is too far away -- a day to get there, another to get back! From Fes you will be able to visit the ruins of the Roman city Volubilis, and spend time in the medieval medina. Marrakech is more tourist oriented, with perhaps more sights to see. You could take an excursion to the High Atlas mountains for a day, or possibly a day trip to the seaside town of Essaouira.

UNDERMOROCCANSUN Apr 15th, 2014 11:09 AM

Could not agree enough with Fra_.
Very little time to do Desert camel ride...etc
I would stick to one city.
Good luck

BKD Apr 15th, 2014 02:02 PM

My suggestion is to stay in Spain. Two days in Morocco is not worth the effort. Traveling around is not easy and the country is so complex you would be doing yourself a disservice to only be there for two days. Even if you fly to Fes or Marrakech, the airport time will take away touring time. We did two weeks and it wasn't enough. I guess if you just want to say you were in Morocco, then ok, but I would either change the trip or stay in Spain.

thursdaysd Apr 16th, 2014 05:18 AM

I agree with BKD. If you go for two days you will get a very different view, quite probably an unfavorable one, than you would from a two week trip. Would you seriously consider a two day trip to Spain? And Morocco is even more complex.

Most people who do these look-see trips to Morocco go to Tangier or Marrakesh, which are, partly in consequence, the most touristy areas. If I were going back for just a short visit, I would go to Fes, but getting there will probably take longer.

MmePerdu Apr 17th, 2014 01:48 PM

Another vote with the 2 opinions above. As a regular visitor to Morocco, one of my favorite places to hang out, I recommend you not bother for 2 days. But if we haven't convinced you and you still plan to do it, I suggest you take a ferry to Tangier and hang out there for the 2 days.

A day trip is useless but for 2 days Tangier is easy to navigate, interesting in itself and also know that each destination in Morocco has it's individual charms so don't assume Tangier is the same as the rest. But I've spent some time there and find it very pleasant. It has an ambiance all it's own and is not entirely geared toward tourists. I suspect those who say it's a waste of time may, as is often the case, speak from less experience.

UNDERMOROCCANSUN Apr 18th, 2014 05:50 AM

Many travellers day trip to Tangier from Spain, only a 14 km away yet a huge difference, a one day trip may pave the way for a longer trip.
Cheers.

Bedar Apr 18th, 2014 08:16 AM

As MmePerdu says, stay in Tangiers., It is a charming city and will give you a taste for further travel later.

colleenbee08 Apr 23rd, 2014 04:49 AM

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, I realize 2 days is not nearly enough time to fully experience Morocco, but we do want to take advantage of being so close to have a tiny taste. That being said, Tangier it is! Any recommendations of nice places to stay that are typical of the city? Not interested in western style hotels.

MmePerdu Apr 23rd, 2014 09:11 AM

I highly recommend 'La Tangerina' for your stay. Make your reservations asap as it's understandably popular. One evening I had dinner there and I recommend it, too, for one of your evenings. Ask about it when you make your reservations, if you do.

http://latangerina.com/en/

As you can see from the pictures on the site, it's at the top of the hill, looking out to sea making the rooftop the most wonderful spot in a wonderful house. I spent part of a day there reading, although it was hard to read with the view constantly seducing me. Lucky you, if you stay there.

colleenbee08 Apr 23rd, 2014 02:48 PM

MmePerdu, yes that is a very nice place to stay with many high recommendations on TripAdvisor. Thankyou, will add it to my notes.

take_time_2_travel Jul 19th, 2014 08:52 AM

Bookmarking! :)

Alex251986 Jul 19th, 2014 09:40 AM

La Tangerina is wonderful hotel to stay in Tangier, totally agree.