morocco first time traveller

Nov 26th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

morocco first time traveller

hi,

i am a 28 year old woman going to morocco alone for two weeks in january for pleasure and spiritual journey. landing in marakesh. bought fodor's guide and lonely planet. want to do a trek in oasis valleys and desert. also want to see as much as possible. what is the best way to hire a guide? around how much should i expect to pay? i need lots of advice and ideas. wish i had company but all my friends are flakes and not into it. should i hire a private guide and will this be way too expensive?
Nov 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM
sandi

Do a search in the box on top of this page, entering Morocco or Morocco Guide and click find on the right. Threads containing information will appear on the left.

I know there have been threads that included information regarding tour operators and guides in Morocco that are available for private hire. From what I recall, the prices for the private guides were reasonable - but don't ask me to remember a specific daily rate, what's included, etc.

Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:47 AM

The last time I was in Marrakesh was in 1982 when I was 27 years old. You should be fine on your own.I was totaslly on my own back then. I travel solo to over 90% of the places I travel to. In Marrakesh I just wore long sleeved blouses, long harem-style pants, and covered my head and used my headcovering for a veiled look when I thought necessary. I also wore dark sunglasses as to not make eye contact with men because that was a problem from time to time....they would approach me and try talking to me. If you wear a fake wedding ring it helps and I tried to gather where Moroccan women were in some situations. In Marrakesh, I stayed at the Hotel Les Almoravides which I loved. I actually saw it listed in a travel book a few years ago, so it must be still around. As for a guide, I went to the local government guide office in MArrakesh and selected a guide and then he walked me around the whole city and I paid for the taxi rides when we needed to go somewhere far. I also took a bus to Essouira where the bus ended up stranded on the road because a group of camels that decided to sit in the middle of the road. Marrakesh was absolutely wonderful.I'll always remember it fondly. Be careful of the cobra snakes. There are a lot of snake charmers everywhere so be aware when you walk around. It should be easier these days, to be in Marrakesh, since it's now chic to go to there. Back in the 1980s it was a bit rugged and raw. You'll be fine and will love it. Happy Travels!

Search this Thread