Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone done a walking safari or anything similar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya, just looking for a bit of reassurance here!
Next week I am heading off with a friend on an Earthwathc project to Nanyuki in Kenya. It's in a nature reserve which was set up primarily for rhinos but also houses lots of other game including elephants, big cats, buffalo etc. I'm just getting a bit worried about being charged or attacked! I was fine until I started reading books off the reading list in which people are getting chased up a tree every 5 mins! Not sure how good my tree climbing skills are! We will have an armed guard with us so I'm sure I'm getting unecessarily stressed.
Has anyone got any experience of walking safaris or anything simila? Cheers.

PS. I have been on safari to Kenya before but that was from the safety of a car!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Me again sorry, just wanted to add that the reserve is called Sweetwaters, from looking at another post I think Patty may have been there?
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:40 AM

Yes, I've been to Sweetwaters although we didn't go on any walks there nor elsewhere last time. We did see a rhino both evenings at the waterhole in front of the tents. Sorry, I can't provide you with any first hand information on how the walks are conducted. We did see some other guests on a walk and as far as I know they both survived, does that help? I'm planning to go on 2 safari walks myself in the Masai Mara in November.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patty, thanks for the reply. Glad to hear those walkers survived, hehe! I've been looking at your pics, it looks gorgeous so I'm more excited than scared now!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:57 AM

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM

rainbowrose: I do hope you will be able to enjoy walking safari...it's a remarkable experience. Safari in a vehicle is great, but it really does separate you from what is Africa. Most (hopefully, ALL) guides are well-trained and can evaluate how fresh any predator tracks may be. I've been fortunate to do many safari walks with armed rangers and enjoyed them a great deal. We never encountered any predators, which was a good thing! Of course, danger is inherent in the activity, but there is a low probability of any unfortunate incident.
Enjoy!!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM

rainbowrose, it surely does not get publishers excited when books say "in 20 years of walking in Africa we never even came close to a dangerous encounter". anymore than the evening news leads off with "no crimes worth reporting today in Metropolis, just a couple cases of shoplifting and a driver who turned right on red when he was supposed to stop. So we'll feature heartwarming stories about helpful people in our community."

Pay attention to the guide's instructions. Relax and enjoy. As long as you avoid the midnight walks, you'll be safe.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM

Rainbowrose...I would love to hear about your Earthwatch experience when you get back as I've been considering that project for a couple of years. Have a great time...
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies! I know you're all right, it's just a bit daunting! I'll definitely do a full report when I get back.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:58 PM

I've done a couple of walking safaris, and you have nothing to worry about. It can be a bit heart-pounding at times, but if you follow your guide's instructions to the letter, there should be no danger. Your guide should give you a careful briefing on the DOs and DONTs before you set out. One of my guides told me of a walker who was injured by an elephant, but only because he failed to observe instructions. You're not likely to get as close to animals as you would in a vehicle, because the sight and scent of humans on foot frightens them...but you might get very close, and that's when exhilaration kicks in. The idea, after all, is not to avoid animals, but to get as close as possible in as natural a situation as possible. On one 10-day walking safari, we tracked lion (but sadly failed to catch up with them), black rhino (and succeeded in getting very close), and wild dog (also successful). Walk tall and have fun!