Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Morocco - Driving the Tizi N' Tichka pass in 2024 - Dangerous or OK?

Old Jul 10th, 2024, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I plan to drive on the Tizi N' Tichka Pass in Morocco from Skoura to Marrakech in late September. We'll be in a rental car (hopefully a SUV or something with some higher clearance). I've seen videos of this drive and it looks extremely dangerous, with no guardrails in tight places, and risk of falling rocks. But then I read that they had recently improved it, with some of the hairpin turns straightened out. I would like to know the current condition of the Pass. Is it less dangerous than it was previously?

We are contemplating trying to avoid this Pass entirely, taking a more southern route that avoids the mountains. It will add a day to our travel, but it seems so much safer.

I appreciate your information and opinions.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just did this in April - it was fine. Yes there were a few places there were rock slides that had blocked the road and there are some guardrails and small stone walls. I drove it from Marrakesh so I was on the inside lane. The bigger concern are the crazy Moroccan drivers - be aware that they tend to pass in oncoming traffic lanes, sometimes in the second lane over and have no issues with doing so around blind curves. It's a magnificent drive with lovely views.