Morocco...Do it RIGHT the first time

Jan 18th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Morocco...Do it RIGHT the first time

Hi I'm planning a trip to Morocco-->Gibraltar--->Spain--->Portugal--->Spain--->Southern France--->Dublin--->London--->Ukraine and back to States.
I'm 27 y.o., fit, and a seasoned traveler. Just got back from Machu Pichu Peru and loved trekking the Inka Trail. So these kinds of Advantures are my priority (Site seeing is a slight bonus, but not a MUST, unless there's something realy neat)
I would love to explore Best of Morocco has to offer...I plan anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks in Morocco. Marrakech is a start point. Here's the Draft PLAN:
1. TOUBKAL TREK: 2 day...1 night (is there any travel agency that doesnt charge an arm and a leg) or can it be done by myself? I hear you can reach the pick and back in 1 day!
2. Sahara Desert Trekking 2 days 1 night in Zagora area. Can it be done by myself (Local guide or budget tour company on site) All the online tour companies want too much.
3. Is it possible to visit Cascades d'Ouzoud Waterfall on route to Rabat or a Day Trip needed?
4. Train/bus route to Chefchaouen and eventually to Tangier is through Casablanca. Is it even worth to stop in Casablanca for their Famous Mosque or skip Casablanca all together? And Is Rabat Worth while?
Meknes and the Roman Ruins is a must for me.
5. Fes is on the way to Chefchaouen, so is it worth seeing?
6. Is there more to Chefchaouen than the blue streets, and is 1 full day 2 nights is enought there?
7. Finally Tangier: I plan to take a ferry to Gibraltar from here (is that possible?) 1 full day I feel should be enough.

This is just a draft of my trip to Morocco any additions or deductions or comments is much appreciated...It also seems there's not much Hostels in Morocco? Whats the best way to find accomodation there. Sleeping under stars is alright with me as I plan to spend overnight in the open Desert. Thank you for your imput fellow travelers!

Serge.
Jan 19th, 2012, 01:16 AM

Hi Serge,congrats, have been going since the late 1960s. visitmorocco.com details prefer to self guide by train there
www.seat61.com/morocco. Almost all areas can be self guided
High Atlas my fav. Many of the big cities are crowded and
touristy not my cup of tea. hostelbookers.com nice Riads there. MANY scammers on the boards and in country.You can
save over half negotiating direct when you get there much like Peru/SA. travel.state.gov for aheads up on crime safety.
columbusdirect.com backpackers insurance has saved my posterior frequently.I think your plan is basically sound
might spend more time in the south.

Good Luck!
Jan 19th, 2012, 01:20 AM

marathons.ahotu.com/.../831...high-atlas-ultra-trail-atlas-toubkal

For REAL adventure do this I did a few years back truly an
awesome experience.

Search this Thread