Morocco Bound!

Mar 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Morocco Bound!

There is such great advice on this board and I'm hoping to get some answers to my questions. Since my traveling companion bailed on me in the last minute, I am now traveling alone. I am a female in my early 30's but look younger. What should I expect? I've heard that I will probably get whistles, called names etc. Sounds like the same experience as walking by a construction site in the US. I plan to wear long sleeve t-shirts and baggy pants/long skirts and no makeup. Any other suggestions?

I'm going to be there from April 6th returning to the US on April 11th. Here's what I'm thinking for my itnerary.

6th-Casablanca to see the Hussan II Mosques/beach

7th-leave early am to take train to Marrakesh. Wander around Medina. Stay night

8th/9th Hoping to go South-Ouarzazate and do one of the following a)stay with Berber family (?) b) camp in desert c)stay at Dar Daif BUT I want ride a camel in the Sahara.

10th ?Fly from Ouarzazate to Fes see Medina with guide and few other sites. Stay the night.

11th-Take train/fly back to Casablanca to get flight to Paris-US.

I know this is a lot but there is so much to see and do! I just wish I had more time.
Any ideas/recommendations for a fantastic-unique Morocco trip would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mar 30th, 2004, 07:18 PM

That's a lot to try to pack into 5 days. Depends on the kind of traveler you are, but you won't have much time to relax and soak in the places. If you really want to see the desert, you might consider skipping Fez and adding a night to Marrakesh - not ideal, but given your timing.

As for traveling alone as a woman, be smart - you don't need to fear everyone but don't be over trusting either. As with much of the middle east, many people will befriend you, invite you to tea, etc - some will be genuinely nice and many will have other motives (usually selling you something). Your plan for dressing conservatively is good. If you haven't traveled in the Middle East before, you may be surprised by how much you are hounded by people trying to sell you things. The best way to handle it is to be firm but polite (smile) and know these key words of arabic - la shukran (pronounced "law shookron") - this means "no thank you"

Search this Thread