Morocco Advice Requested

Jan 22nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Morocco Advice Requested

We have set dates we would like to travel in Morocco. Arrive March 5 spend that night and next night in Marrakesh. Then on the 7th go to Merzouga to see the desert. Spend two nights there. Then go to Fez and spend the night of 9th there. Then fly out at the gosh awful hour of 5:10 am I believe to Casablanca and on the Madrid.

How do I plan transportation? I do not see a rental car company that has a drop off in Fez. Looks like bus is the way to go. Hear CTM is the best but I do not read French so could not figure out there website. Or is a driver/guide not too expensive?

Or is there a tour company in Morocco that can book all of this at not too steep of a add on?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am a past poster regarding our trip to Kenya. You guys helped us plan a fantastic trip. Sandy, are you still out there? Bet you even have some advice for me.

Thanks

Kevin from California
Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:04 AM

Hi Kevin --

I think you're trying to pack too much into the short time you have there. It usually takes two days to drive Marrakech to Merzouga, and pretty much another day from Merzouga to Fes. There are several companies which will arrange excursions like that although I haven't used them. I'd suggest that you drop the desert and concentrate on the two cities.
Jan 22nd, 2014, 02:56 PM

We were just there and compared pricing and found the best was to arrange transport for each leg through our hotel. It was much cheaper than the prices we were quoted in advance and it gives flexibility throughout the trip.

Also, Fez has so much to see - it's an incredible city and we ended up spending nearly a week there - if you're planning on spending only one night, I would try to arrive as early as possible.

Have a great trip!
Jan 22nd, 2014, 05:05 PM
jgg

I agree that you are packing too much in. It is a two day drive from Marrakech to Mezouga, we spent the night on the way in Ouazarzate. Then it is about a 7 hr drive from Merzouga to Fez, so most of a day so if you are only spending one night in Fez you really won't have any time to see anything. We had 8 nights and did 3 nights Marrakech, one night Ouazarzate, one night in desert, one night in Merzouga and 2 nights in Fez (would have loved to have one more night there!). It was a pretty tight trip but doable and we had a fantastic time. Here is a link to my trip report along with pictures:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...frica/morocco/

Search this Thread