Reload this Page >

Cape Town itinerary questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:44 AM
melanie

Hello,<BR><BR>My husband and I will be in Cape Town for three days this January. We are planning to visit Table Mountain, Robben eiland and do a full day cape peninsula tour. This tour also goes through Groot Constantia. Would it be worth it to also do a half day trip to Stellenbosch? Are the winelands not to be missed? Or, will Groot constantia (albeit briefly) be enough.<BR><BR>I was also interested in seeing an ostrich farm. Is there one close to the city (we would have to take a cab).<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!<BR><BR>Melanie

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Sandy

Keep one day to just walk around in the inner city and the waterfront. Lots of people, parks, churches, and sights to see, You will wish you had more time in Cape Town.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:28 AM
RnR

If you would like a private guide for a day in the CT area , you may contact Buz Beck who lives in Cape Town, and guided us for one day to the Cape and around the city, etc. in the fall of 2001. To locate his email address, search on Buz Beck here on Fodors - his name has been mentioned by a number of people. He provides a nice van to take you around - about $90 for a full day. Former teacher - very informed - lifelong resident of this area - and a very frank, honest guide willing to share all the up and down sides to this city's history. Well worth the money!!!!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Melanie,<BR><BR>In 3 days you just might make it to see most of the Cape Town and its surrounding areas. To do this you should effectively do 3 trips viz. The Cape Peninsula ride that you are already doing, a winelands tour as well as a city exploration including Robben Island.<BR><BR>As far as the Peninsula tour is concerned I would NOT recommend that you visit Groot Constantia. The only reason as to why I say this is because the Peninsula drive is a wonderful scenic route and even I as a tourguide have great difficulty covering the journey fully with the daylight hours available to me in a day. If you visit Groot Constantia you definitely will NOT complete the whole ride as you will run out of time onn the day. Furthermore Groot Constantia is entirely different to the farms that you generally find in the Cape winelands and it will not give you a real impression of what the Cape Winelands truly is about. With that said I wonder if those reading this page realise that the best part of I reckon 75% of visitors to my city unfortunately do not cover the whole roundabout ride of the Cape peninsula and miss out on what is probably the bet part of e ride which is the sector from Scarborough to Kommetjie. <BR><BR>You should also set aside a full day to visit the Cape Winelands. The area is absolutely beautiful and there are so many wine farms to choose from that are absolutely wonderful to visit. I would recommend Rust en Vrede as a good farm to visit as it has excellent red wines and the views from the gardens and setting of the farm is to simply die for. While touring the Winelands make a point of leaving at least 2 hours to explore the town os Stellenbosch too.<BR><BR>On your third day I suggest that you visit Robben Island and spend the rest of the day exploring the city itself ending off your day with a climax viz. a ride up to Table Mountain so as to view from 1000 metres up all that you had done in the earlier 3 days.<BR><BR>Couple of important pointers. In January there are going to be hordes of people at all the tourist spots and the lines to complete activities will be long, so build a little bit of waiting time in for this facility as you plan your tour.<BR><BR>Book for your Robben Island trip NOW NOW NOW. If you dont do this you will not get onto the ferry. Please heed this advice with a high importance flag.<BR><BR>All I can say is that I hope that you have accommodation booked already because right now Cape Town seems to be fully booked for the month of January.<BR><BR>If you need any further help or advice just ask and I will respond accordingly on this page.<BR><BR>Enjoy my city when you visit us.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Melanie,<BR><BR>I forgot to mention that there are ostrich farms just outside the entrance to the Cape of Good Hope reserve as well as one on the West Coast road. I would recommend the one near the Cape of Good Hope reserve. If you do visit the farm DEFINITELY leave Groot Constantia out of your Peninsula itinerary as you will then really be on the short end when it comes to time availablity.<BR><BR>Go well<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>