Morocco advice

Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:58 AM
Jill

Morocco advice

I'd like to see Marrakesh and Casablanca. Can anyone tell me how safe it is for an American to be there post 9/11? Also, what's the best, fastest, and safest way to travel between cities? We will have 10 days.
Also, any recommendations on which cities should not be missed, hotels, restaurants, experiences we should incorporate?

Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:43 PM
charlene

very safe. We went there last Christmas (right after 911). The travel group we booked with operates out of the big air base in Germany that caters to Americans, (military) and they are very fussy about safety, and Morroco wasn't and isn't on their unsafe list. We travelled by bus, (but it was a coach tour, so can't tell what is cheaper, but I would check out renting a car, if you have more than one person, and that will give you the flexibility. I loved Marrakesh, Casablanca was like any large modern city...I would not miss the Roman ruins in Valoperia (I know that isn't spelled right) and Essouiria and along the coast was nice. We also went to an evening performance in Marrakesh that featured tribal horse riding displays and eating under desert tents (a bit touristy, but lots of fun)

Nov 12th, 2002, 05:03 AM
LH

jill,
i echo the other poster who said fes is not to be missed. in my experience, it outshined marrakech and essaouira. a guide is an absolute must - two turns from your hotel in the medina and you will be completely disoriented. i have the name of an excellent guide in fes - please e-mail if you're interested. my 7 hour tour with him in fes was unbelievable - and one of the few days in morocco where i was completely free from being hassled about buying anything. he was born and raised in fes, so i feel as if i got to see things other tourists (very few compared to marrakech and essaouira) had the chance to see. i stayed in the medina (in all three cities), which i highly recommend. in fes, riad fes is beautiful and they take exceptionally good care of their guests. i spent a day in casablanca and, again, echo other posters who say it is simply a large city - worth perhaps a stop but not an overnight. as for driving - i did so (took the ferry from algeciras to tanger with my car)...and must say i would do it differently in the future. driving in morocco is an experience. firstly, the gendarmes are at the beginning, middle and end of each city, and they ticket heavily. speed limits go from 110 to 40 in the blink of an eye. also, life in morocco takes place so much in and along the streets that passing through each town requires the utmost in vigilance - people dart out into the streets and bikes swerve out into the road constantly and from every direction. even on the highways - i was amazed in casablanca to see just how many people were scurying across the highway, jumping over its medians, men helping women climb over them, struggling with their caftans, waiting to dart across the road as cars flew by at 110 kph+. i'm something of a stubborn independent traveler, but morocco was the first place in all of my travels that made me think twice. it is one of the few places i've been that i would say should be done on an organized tour. as for being an american, and a new yorker, post 9/11 - i felt completely safe at all times. further, especially in fes, people reacted with great sentiment and compassion when they asked where i was from. people from fes are said to have a sort of pride unparalleled in other parts of the country, and after logging 1500 kilometers in morocco, i can see and understand why. well, i could go on and on...so feel free to e-mail if you have any other questions. either way, you will certainly have a wonderful experience. morocco is filled with much magic and mysticism.

Search this Thread