Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Morocco...Adventure in Food Poisioning and other things learned!

Morocco...Adventure in Food Poisioning and other things learned!

Oct 10th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Morocco...Adventure in Food Poisioning and other things learned!

My 22 yr old daughter just returned from 2 1/2 weeks in Marrakech with a film crew. She learned many things. First: most people will get food poisioning in some way or another. It's a fact of life. She however got it worse than most. She was hospitalized at the best hospital(clinique) in Marrakech according to the American Embassy. Her care there was appropriate and quite good. The upside is it was also unbelievably inexpensive! By the way, she most likely got the food poisioning by eating an omelet in her 4* hotel! She avoided salads, fruits and uncooked veggies,ice and only drank bottled beverages and water. Many others did the same and only became mildly ill.
She had been told before that food poisoning was a fact of life when you stay in Morocco,but she thought she could avoid it.

Some other things she learned are:as a woman, NEVER sit in the front seat of a taxi and certainly never when you are alone.
She also learned to BARGAIN with each driver first. She said most places for two people it was possible to go for only 100durum. Don't take the taxis in front of the hotel, go down the block for a cheaper one.

She did enjoy Marrakech in some ways,but all in all this will most likely be her last expedition to Morocco for a long time!
Dec 11th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Thanks for posting, but if I avoided food poisoning in Mexico I am sure it can be avoided in Morocco! My brother just went there for a week and did not get sick. And he ate in restaurants.
May 17th, 2004, 05:14 AM

I was in Morocco 2 years ago. Our whole group got sick, but I the worst!! It was Ramadan, so we thought maybe food was sitting around or maybe we got sick from eggs, BUT I would go back in a flash. I loved it!!. It is a beautiful country!! I am looking for deals now and hope to return in Sept. You can get sick anywhere, even here in the US....its just hard when you are on a vaction, not fun. Each city has its own flavor, loved Fez, the Atlas Mountains and Marrakech. The souks and the spices. So exotic!!
May 27th, 2004, 12:35 PM
ECS

I just returned from a 10 day tour through Morocco and didn't get a hint of sickness. I ate sheeps head from a street vendor, and many Moroccan salads. I did avoid the tap water. Not everyone gets sick in Morocco. I would happily go back again anytime.

Search this Thread