Morocca ith 13 year old in April 2014

Mar 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Morocca ith 13 year old in April 2014

We were planning trip to Egypt with grandson but just feel safety is too iffy right now. Has anyone done morocco with 13 year old? We want it to be educational, fun, and if it's not asking for the moon, life changing. We have 9 days April 2014. We want to be comfortable but can't afford luxe, nor do we want that type of travel. (Morocco seems most affordable of the African countries). Actually wouldn't mind a volunteer experience for at least part of it. Would like to see wildlife if it's doable.
Mar 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM
jgg

We went to Morocco with our kids when they were 11 and 14. It was truly an amazing experience as everything was new and different for them. The camel ride and night in the desert was definitely the highlight of the trip, and something I'm sure your grandson will never forget. We had 8 nights (after spending 5 nights in Barcelona). We did 3 nights Marrakech, 1 night in Ouazarzate on the way to the desert, one night in desert, one night in Merzouga (desert town) and two nights in Fez. If i had an additional night like you do, I would spend an additional night in Fez. We would have loved to go to Essaouria but just didn't have time to fit it in.

Not sure how much true "wildlife" you can see in Morocco, but plenty of other things that will be a feast for the eyes. The riad we stayed in Marrakech was pretty luxe but there are plenty of nice budget riads to stay in. The place we stayed in OUazarzate and Merzouga were not expensive at all.

Here is a link to my blog with all the details of our trip and pictures: http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...frica/morocco/
Mar 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you--that was very helpful!
Apr 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM

I don't do trip reports, I don't do blogs..I just share my pix for familiarization purposes...so to give you an idea of what Maroc is all about..here is a hree part group of pix based on our month's journey, map and all, in Maroc..we drove more than 1500 miles...no kids, they're all adults as are our grandchilden..all adults and they do plenty of travel on their own. As each one graduates college, I give them a trip anywhere they want to go...only three down, three to go. Whew!

Set slide show at 4 or 5 secs. and enjoy. jgg, you'll see a lot of duplicate stuff here. My overseas travel is all but finished as my wife has dementia/ALZ, after more than 75 countries on six continents. Maroc is still one of my favorites. I'll post them together on the next post.
stu (enjoy the alluring country of Maroc)
Apr 7th, 2013, 08:12 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Morocco# (Fes..note spelling))

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...KvrpeoxMr2uwE# (Atlas Mts, Desert, Erg Chebbi, Rissani, Todra and Dades gorges, Ouarzazate, Draa Valley, Ait Benhaddou and remote Fint Oasis)

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Maroc3#
(Marrakech and Essaouira)
Apr 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM

tower - so sorry to hear that about your wife's condition. It's also sad to hear someone saying their overseas travel might be finished.

I really enjoyed your pictures of Morocco. It's at the top of my list too as one of my favorite trips. Doing that driving yourself, wow, we were scared just being passengers sometimes. For example, on the Tiz n Tickka (sp?) pass. I closed my eyes when our driver would swing out around a truck to pass on the edge of a sheer drop. Bravo to you guys!

Very nice graduation presents you give!
Apr 16th, 2013, 09:04 PM

Oh my goodness Stu, you are one funny man. I loved your photos and captions. Yes, many smells and many asses in Morocco. I see you have the hitch hiking signal down, and the Berber dancing; but did I see some utensils on your plate? The hoodie outfits are called jalabas (sp?). I will be in Morocco in June so I can see my husband for a couple weeks. This time I will be bringing my 12 year old son. I hope to venture out a bit more than I have in the past.

Garden Girl, I think Morocco with a 13 year old will be great. He can see a different culture, see and smell things he never will anywhere else, and be able to appreciate what he has at home.

Search this Thread