More than i can chew??

Jun 27th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

More than i can chew??

Hi im the newest fodorite apparently. I stumbled upon this site by accident but have really enjoyed reading about peoples experiences and instantly checking out photo albumns (very nice!!)

Im here to scream for help. Im planning a trip to africa, next march, selling my car leaving my job, with no clue as to when i will return to england, other than probably in about a year!! But having never done anything like this before (i have never been on a trip that wasnt just a two week holiday in a lovely hotel!) its proving more difficult than i had imagined.

Im spending sometime in south africa with friends, and then planning to "follow the rains" north and east until i have had my fill!! If anyone reading this can help themselves, or knows a man who can, i would be eternally grateful. Wonderful people that own tented camps or lodges that need (wouldnt mind) a bright eyed and bushy tailed traveller for a few weeks. I would work off expenses, pretty much anything to be there.

Any ideas-or comments to the effect that i HAVE bitten off more than i can chew, all welcome.
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Hi - good for you! Don't quite follow the "how difficult it would be" line though. In what way are you thinking it's going to be difficult! more info required. But I do get the message that you hope to work somewhere at a lodge or similar. Illegal of course unless you have a work permit.

African countries reserve the same rights as other countries to restrict the right to work to their own citizens.

What exactly do you have in mind? As it happens I do know some folk who lived/worked for quite a while at a safari camp in Zambia. They are now back in the UK - but if you could be more precise (like what skills do you have) I could email them and ask their advice.

All the best.
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi alice,

Cheers for that! I think maybe the main reason im finding it difficult is im not very good at explaining exactly what it is i want to do. If it was possible i would just want to live out there for a year a make any money i needed in the least amount of time possible and spend the rest of my time writing and photographing the world there. Thats my plan.

Second reason its difficult, one you mentioned, and one i recently had experience of is the fact most people are (as they should really) reserving the right for work for their own citizens. I have no qualifications. Just ready and able to work hard, probably have more skills that would be applicable if i knew what it is they were after. I can cook/clean, good at orientiring, driving, pretty sure i could turn my hand to most things.

If im still being vague i apologise, just badger me and i shall be more specific.

Search this Thread