More Safari Questions in South Africa

Oct 26th, 2005, 02:51 PM
g2g
Original Poster

More Safari Questions in South Africa

If I stay at Simbambili and Mala Mala, will I be seeing the same types of animals? I only have 5 days on safari, and want to split it between two camps. Any suggestions helpful.
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:35 AM

Yes you will.
You should look at staying at two different regions in SA for your safari experience.
3 nights s/sands, two nights elswhere such as the Madikwe. Flight connections might be challenging, but worth investigating.

if cost is an issue, look at alternates to MM. Sabi Little Bush Camp. Then there is Lion Sands, which has OK accommodation, just are a bit tiny. Plenty others that are in the less expensive barcket.

In Madikwe a great 5 star property is Buffalo Ridge, it's rates are close to half the price of the S/sands.
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:00 AM
g2g
Original Poster

My understanding is that game sightings in Madikwe are not to the level of Sabi Sands. My other thought is to do two nights at each camp, then 4 nights(not the three i had planned) in capetown.
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Hi
I stayed at 4 different lodges in September for 2 nights at each & found it perfect to be able to experience 4 styles of lodge & environment.
I would really recommend for the viewing/value for money & comfort: Londolozi in Sabi Sands. We stayed at Bateleur camp, the rooms are fine & going to be updated shortly, its nice to have a plunge pool, but I used (alone I might add!) the larger communal pool. Best lunches ever! Great game viewing on every drive. Pioneer camp seemed more fun & modern, but smaller.
Phinda (another CCAfrica lodge) had the worst food of the safari at Forest Lodge, but watching a nyala drink beside me from the swimming pool compensated! Very good game viewing & could do a river cruise here which was interesting. Rooms surrounded by glass windows were dramatic, but the dense bush can feel claustrophobic. More variety of activities here too.
Jocks safari camp in South Kruger was by far the cheapest of the lodges we stayed in,& was very attractive, with large colonial style rooms, a very big terrace, plunge pool & view. Sadly there had been lightning fires nearby the previous week , the landscape was ravaged, & very few animals were around in the near vicinity. The good food here didn't make up for it! I think when the rains arrive the situation will change.
Our 4th choice, Royal Malewane in Thornybush was absolutely breathtaking. Gorgeous rooms, bedlinen, terrace & plunge pool. The most glamorous spa with 25m lap pool, excellent service. There was less game in this region due to the drought, & I wasn't crazy about the "thorny bush" scenery, but we did spot a leopard & a cub, a herd of elephants & a pride of 11 lions, so can't really complain!! It is very expensive, but for luxury-lovers like myself, a great choice.

Search this Thread