More sad news from DRC - another gorilla shot dead.

Jun 10th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

More sad news from DRC - another gorilla shot dead.

So this didn't get lost at the end of my other thread on the DRC:

From Samantha Newport, Comms Director Wildlife Direct:

"Matt,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news….
Paulin will be posting later..
We are all very upset by this.
Sam"

RARE MOUNTAIN GORILLA SHOT AND KILLED IN CONGO; ORPHANED GORILLA IN CRITICAL CONDITION

A rare Mountain Gorilla in eastern Congo was found shot and killed on Friday in Virunga National Park, with her 2-month old baby still clinging to her breast. The adult female, named Rubiga, was shot in the back of the head, execution-style, and in the right arm. She was a member of the Kabirizi family, one of the largest Mountain Gorilla families with 34 members.

I'll be speaking with Dr Mike Cranfield, director of the Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project in a week or so and posting up an interview: I'll see if he can shed more light.

To read the full report from Samantha at wildlife direct and see a photo of the baby gorilla click here:

http://safaritalk.net/index.php?showtopic=407

Depressed in Portugal,

Matt
Jun 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM

sickening.
this is beyond depressing.
Jun 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I just don't understand why anyone would do this...I am so very sad.
Jun 10th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Matt, this is horrendous. There is a real batttle to save the gorillas and indeed the rangers. Makes me wish the the Gorillas would cross over into Rwanda or Uganda and I agree with you both, this terribly depressing. I hope they can save the little baby and that none of the other family members have been injured or indeed killed.

Imelda
Jun 10th, 2007, 08:36 AM

WHY? WHY? WHY?????????????????????????
Jun 10th, 2007, 08:46 AM

This makes me feel ill...why?????

Moira
Jun 10th, 2007, 11:05 AM

It's bad enough that mountain gorillas are being killed in the DRC, but what makes it even more damaging is that certain of the gorillas that normally live in Rwanda sometimes go over the border into the DRC, where they are then in danger of being killed just as the ones Matt keeps telling us about.

Lest we forget however, gorillas are not the only -- or even primary -- victims of the conflict in the eastern DRC. The gorillas are killed as part of an overall envirnoment is which life -- whether human or animal -- is not given much value. It doesn't get much attention from the western media, but death, torture and displacement are unfortunate facts of daily living for the human inhabitants of the eastern DRC. As long as that situation persists, there will be little hope for the DRC's mountain gorillas.

Chris
Jun 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM

So sad and upsetting.
Jun 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Terrible news.

And very well-articulated and important points, Chris.
Jul 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM

More bad news:

July 23, 2007

"Three female mountain gorillas were found shot dead this morning in the Democratic Republic of Congo's Virunga National Park."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...as-killed.html

So depressing...
Jul 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Revolting.
Jul 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM

no!!!! I don't even think I can read the article.
Jul 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM

"Another three gorillas are missing, and park rangers fear they may have also been killed.

One of the dead females was the mother of a three-month-old baby gorilla, while another victim was the mother of a two-year-old animal. The third gorilla killed was pregnant."

Not only are there orphans left behind, unless the other members of the group can nurture them properly, they may also die.

4 dead (counting the fetus), 3 feared dead and 2 infants may die.

7 of these beautiful, gentle animals lives snuffed out in a matter of minutes with another 2 lives hanging in the balance.

This is heartbreaking.
Jul 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM

It's awful.

Do you think the gorillas will realize they can't go there? I'm referring to any that may have escaped the attack and returned to Rwanda. And if they don't go there is the remaining habitat sufficient to support a viable population?

Thank you Divewop, for summarizing. I could not bring myself to click on the article either.

This is a terrible development.
Jul 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM

I could not click the article either, because it is just going to break my heart even more. Why, why, why?
Jul 24th, 2007, 11:53 PM

I cannot believe it , I am feeling so sad for them. I met this group last september in the Virunga . They were so nice . I remember one baby always trying to play with us while the females were trying to steale our bags ..it was an amazing moment I will never forget it

how can this happen and why ?
Chinook
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:05 AM

I made a google search and what I found is really horrible . The Silver back was also killed .

There are some pictures ..one of "my" baby Gakoti
http://wildlifedirect.org/blogAdmin/...ugendo-family/

Sooooooo sad
Chinook
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Lynn-
I believe this gorilla group may have lived on the DRC side of the Virungas.

"According to National Geographic News, the gorillas killed all came from the Rugendo family of 12 individuals, headed by a silverback gorilla named Rugendo.

The family is apparently one of several groups of gorillas that live on the Congo side of the sprawling Virunga National Park, which straddles the border of Congo, Rwanda, and Uganda, and are visited from the Bukima camp."

Gorilla groups who have crossed over to the DRC from Rwanda have been known to flee back into Rwanda when something or someone scares them or threatens the group. Rangers and trackers have seen the evidence in the way the vegetation is disturbed.

If they stayed on the Rwandan side, there should be ample vegetation to sustain the group. There were only 12 members to begin with, and with these murders, it looks as it the numbers were cut in half, at least, including the silverback's death.

Here's the rest of the article from today's All Africa website.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200707240796.html

Jul 25th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Oh God. No! Why!? Why would someone do that! To shoot her in the back of the head too. Why do certain so called 'humans' have to do such terrible things.
Tt's despicable and my heart is breaking.
How awful.
Jul 25th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Its heartbreaking....

I was sat at a table next to an elderly American couple at Kuyenda last week. The lady was boasting about having met a family that had spent $80000 to 'hunt' and elephant and was trying to justify it as 'only an old bull that would have died anyways'.

I couldnt help thinking what price their children might have accepted to let their 'old' parents be shot for someones boast!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO