More east africa questions

Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

More east africa questions

Thanks for all the info. i am sure with all I have gotten i can soon make an informed decision
I think I am down to 2afrika.com & go2africa
they seem to have the same tour
13or 14 days in Kenya & Tanzania. Air fare being the big difference.
1) anyone deal with both of theses companies before? if so why did you choose one over the other ?
2) why did i see other companies have no tours at all in january ?
3)is January a bad time to go?What are the benefits of January & the disadvantage ?
4) many of you said that the experince of the guides from Vintage Africa was great. Should i request them as our guides or does it not really make a difference?
Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:15 PM
nkh

I have posted several messages about our experiences (good one) with 2afrika this past June - I think I have actually answered some of your previous posts and told you about them.

If a search for 2afrika doesnt show them up, then click on my login (ie nkh) and that should show you my previous posts.

I dont think you can request a Vintage Africa guide if the company isnt using Vintage Africa - but as I told we didnt have Vintage Africa and our experience was great.
Oct 24th, 2003, 10:35 AM

My husband and I recently went to Tanzania with 2Afrika. First I'll give you a few details about our trip, then I'll talk about 2afrika and our experience with them. We went from Sept. 29th to Oct. 10th. We left from the US and flew to Arusha via Northwest. We safaried in Tarangire National Park, Serengeti National Park, and Ngorongoro Crater; we then flew to Zanzibar for a little R&R (rest and relaxation).
Our experience with 2afrika was just okay. I had heard wonderful things on here about them and their prices were affordable for us, so we booked through them. Our trouble started before we left. We had a difficult time getting the packages they sent us with our tickets and also with our itinerary. But, in 2afrika's defense, they were pretty nice about it all. They apologized and recognized their mistakes. It was no big deal though, because I was also planning our wedding and had so many other details to take care of. Fast forward to our trip. 2afrika did subcontract our trip to Vintage Africa once we had landed in Arusha. We had an awesome driver - Richard! He was wonderful and we fell in love with him. He was very knowledgable on the country, the animals, and the land. We were very impressed. The whole safari experience was for the most part nothing but wonderful. Ryan and I weren't crazy about the food, but we had packed some crackers and granola bars, so we survived. In fact, this is what I ate for most of my meals while on safari. In retrospect, I wish I would have taken a few other items to eat as well, but I had no idea I would like the food so little. Our island experience was the worst part of our trip. This part of the trip was sub-subcontracted by Vintage Africa to Zenith Tours. Our flight was schedule was changed to two hours earlier to leave for the island and our drive nor us were informed - so we almost missed our chance to go to Zanzibar. Then once we did arrive in Zanzibar, there was no driver there to pick us up. I had to make several phone calls at $3.00 US a minute. We felt very alone and frustrated. By the time our driver arrived, we were tired and hungry. Then we went back to Zenith Tours for some information because things were quite messed up. They couldn't find our plane tickets to get off the island, which we were promised they should have. That took some time to clear up and we were promised they would be waiting for us at the airport. We finally made it to our hotel. At the hotel, we were in the very last group of bungalows and had been hoping for something a little nicer on the last days of our honeymoon. But...we survived. We left the hotel one afternoon for a fishing charter, but had quite a difficult time getting out of the security gate. An hour later and with the management finally accompanying us out, the security finally opened the gate. This was very frustrating and making us late for the fishing trip. I must say though, that Zenith Tours did make our last nights stay in the city enjoyable. We stayed in a very nice room at Serena Inn in Stone Town. But on our final day in Zanzibar and Africa, we had to check out by 10 am, but our flight did not leave until 5 pm. That was quite a bit of down time without much to do. Another thing I did not check on were our layovers. On the way to Africa, most of our layovers were only about 2 hours long. However, on the trip back home, we had two layovers over 6 hours long. Talk about a lot of time on our hands.... We were quite glad to arrive back in the states at our own airport.

So, that was our trip. We loved the safaris, but came back home with a bad taste in our mouths from the last few days being disappointing. I'm not sure we will ever repeat the trip.

I know this was long, but I hope the information was helpful. And about January, I thought that 2Afrika did tours during that time. I do know that the heavy rains come in January and February. I'm not sure I would want to drive on the African roads during rainy season. I can only imagine how scary that would be. It was sometimes quite scary with everything being dry. Most of the roads we drove on were dirt roads, which during rainy season means they would be mud roads.

Anyways. Good luck with your decisions. We were very pleased with the safari part of our trip. We have 4 albums worth of pictures documenting everything and quite a few turned out really well. And we loved the time of year we went. We were comfortable in pants and t-shirts for most of our trip - so not too hot nor too cold. We also saw quite a few babies. On the list was baby warthogs, zebra, hyena, giraffe, elephant, hippos, gazelle, hartebeast, and I'm sure more than I can remember. It was wonderful.

Any other questions, let me know.
Oct 24th, 2003, 04:20 PM

Kristy, I regret hearing your trip was less than perfect. Am curious about the meals particularly during time at the Crater and the Serengeti. Were you at the Sopa Lodges. Any comments you might care to share would be appreciated. We are considering going again with 2Afrika in 2004. Noted they do not seem to be using the Predators Safair Club any more. Will you be posting any of the pictures? Dick

Search this Thread