Month in Morocco or Tunisia

Jan 10th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Month in Morocco or Tunisia

My parents are recently retired and are now tossing around the idea of possibly spending a month during the dead of winter in a slightly warmer location.

My father recently got his hands on a brochure regarding month long stays in Tunisia and wanted my opinion as I travel a bit more than himself. I remember reading recently that there is a growing number of people from the UK that are spending winter months in Morocco and so suggested that as an option.

Neither of us have any real idea about the subject and so I ask now if anyone in the Fodors community could point us in the right direction or if anyone knows of web resources for people in a similiar scenario.

Thank You
Jan 10th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I just returned from Tunisia (several days, not a month) and will soon post a trip report, but it was among the best destinations I have visited (and I have been to more than 100 countries) -- friendly, safe, easy to travel, great value, amazing sights. I'm looking to return. I can't say the same about Morocco, which I liked much less -- the most hassle and annoyance of any country I've been to.
Jan 10th, 2006, 06:29 PM

I know from previous posts that thit-cho is no fan of Morocco. Fair enough. I have travelled in both countries and found them to be similar in many respects. I personally prefer Morocco (and as a single female, I think thats saying something about the relative hassle levels)...but regardless, I feel there is a greater variety of things to see and do in Morocco: medieval cities, quaint villages, mountains, the Sahara, beaches, stunnging architecture, fabulous riads, friendly people.

From the UK, there are several direct flights on BA to Morocco - namely Fes and Marrakech. In the winter, Marrakech might be a better option as it is a bit warmer and is in general more "user-friendly" than Fes. There are over 500 beautiful riads and guesthouses in the medina that might be willing to negotiate a long-term stay rate for your parents. I highly recommend it!
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

I completly forgot about the Riad industry in Morocco.

Although I have only read a couple of articles on them, I believe that they are more of a guesthouse style place, family run, with a Riad having maybe a half dozen rooms as opposed to a hotel style type of place. Is this in general the concept of most Riads?

Search this Thread