Money Question....

Aug 7th, 2000, 09:05 AM
Adair

Money Question....

I will be in Africa for about 40 days and I really don't know how to plan on bringing money. All posts say to bring American dollars (I am American)but to bring enough dollar bills would take up an enormous amount of space. Are traveler's cheques widely accepted in Africa? Is is possible to use ATM machines all over? I will be in Kenya, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe.

Aug 11th, 2000, 07:44 AM
bly

Adair:
I was waiting to see if anyone else would post... I was in Tanzania and Kenya for 3 weeks last year, so I'm definitely not an expert, but here are my experiences.

I took a couple hundred in US$ and about $500 in traveler's checks. (In Europe and US, I never take trvlrs chks, ATM all the way)
We were able to exchange traveler's checks for shillings in the big resort hotels in Mombasa and at the lodge's on safari. However, most of the retail and restaurants we encountered would not accept them. I did not see one ATM machine the entire trip, but I wasn't looking either. I conserved my cash ($$s and checks) by using credit cards whenever possible - hotels and big restaurants.

In retrospect, I would take more US$, less travelers checks and get less money changed into shillings as even the Masai tribes people were taking US$!

Email me with any questions.

Aug 11th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Adair

Thank you so much for answering my question. I kind of thought that traveller's checks were not going to be that easy to use outside of hotels and the bigger restaurants. I will take some ones, a bunch of fives and a bunch of twentys and use my visa as much as possible. I really don't want to get stuck with a lot of shillings.

Aug 12th, 2000, 01:13 AM
April

You can always cash travellers's cheques whenever you come across a bank. When I was in Tanzania we were allowed to take very little of their money out of the country (and I mean very little!). It couldn't be converted back to other currency either so, if this is still the case, keep it in mind if you do convert US dollars.

Search this Thread