Search

Jacana Safari 2005

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacana Safari 2005

I'm considering this safari, which was recommended by Bert at Fish Eagle Safaris. The 2005 itinerary has changed considerably from the previous one and I'd love to get feedback/opinions.

Here's the old itinerary:

1 night Vic Falls
2 nights in Chobe
3 nights Linyanti Tented Camp
4 nights in Kaparota Camp

For 2005:

Days 1 and 2 San Camp, Makgadikgadi
Days 3 and 4 Xigera Mokoro Trail
Days 5 and 6 Okavango Moremi Game Reserve
Day 7 Gudigwa Camp
Days 8,9,10 Linyanti Camp or Savuti Camp (mid-November to March)

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:07 PM

the jacana safari sounded great to me bc it was a much cheaper option than other botswana trips (especially if you are travelling alone) and all those places (both previous itinerary and new one) are pretty good. if i were designing my own itenirary would i visit the specific camps, no, but if i were looking to save some money or travelling alone i would certainly recommend the trip.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks bigcountry...Just curious, though...why would you not pick those camps? Too rustic?? Or??
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 04:14 PM

i wasnt exactly correct it saying i wouldnt choose those camps. for seeing the delta and mekoring, xigera is as good as any so that i wouldnt change if you are looking for a water based camp. i am planning to visit savuti camp as well on my next trip so if you go there that is great as well. in moremi, i would choose either vumbura or mombo just bc they consistently have phenomenal game. i havenet heard much about the okavango camp in moremi so that would be my only real change. from my experience (3 safaris to botswana), the moremi has been the best viewing so you want to get the most out of your visit there as possible.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:28 AM

Since both Jack's and San Camp were updated the tents and facilities at San are the old ones from Jack's. So any reports from more than a year or two of the tents etc from Jack's should tell you what San Camp is now like.

Whilst Jack's no longer has bucket showers and drop loos, San does.

The old tents from San are now what staff at Jack's have been upgraded too, bigger than the old igloo tents they used to have.

We enjoyed our one night at Gudigwa. That's a good one to include.

I'm sure Xigera is just as nice a water camp as Jcana. I'm confused as to why this itinerary is called Jacana - when it no longer includes that camp - i'm sure it used to a few years back.

Where would you be staying in Moremi?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:45 AM

Kavey,
I assumed that the name "Jacana" now referred to the water bird that is ubiquitous in the area rather than to just the camp. Naming the itinerary after this beautiful little bird (with such interesting behavior!) is as good a name as any.

phernska-- I think you received my reply to this already?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:48 AM

Yeah, we saw lots of the little "jesus birds" at all the water camps. I think WS originally included Jacana Camp in the itinerary of the same name but I think they tend to use the camps that they have least demand for from independent bookings so it makes sense that they change from time to time...