Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Mombo The Answer Is In! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/mombo-the-answer-is-in-475339/)

HappyTravels Sep 20th, 2004 07:43 AM

Mombo The Answer Is In!

Oh, yes, at the higher price - Mombo is it! As is Savuti and Duba Plains.

Just back last night, and it is so fabulous, I cannot believe it! With each trip, it gets better.

So, more planning begins right now!

And I have a question for you chaps: what's the best strategy for buying "business class" ... I am not going cattle in SAA anymore, LOL.

And yes, the lions are still pressing and eating buffalo at Duba! Oh yes!!!

colonelwes Sep 20th, 2004 08:24 AM

Happy,

Try these two strategies for Biz Cl Tickets. One, join AMX Platinum if you
are not one already. They offer 2:1
deals on Biz Cl Tickets with SAA. So you pay $7300 for one and get two..Second, use a fare consolidator
price for one Biz Cl Ticket is $3800 to
Capetown on SAA or Air France.

r/Wes

Ericka Sep 20th, 2004 08:53 AM

OK...the question I have to ask everyone who returns from Mombo....

How Were the Bugs?

bigcountry Sep 20th, 2004 09:00 AM

happytravels,
let's hear some more details. are the wheatfield boys still patrolling around? did you see the steriod boys? how about the tsaro pride? i visited mombo and duba in jan so like to keep up with the predators. thx in advance

HappyTravels Sep 20th, 2004 09:01 AM

Erika, bugs? We were there only five days, so wouldn't think of offering any statistical certainty on the issue of bugs, but we didn't witness or endure any at all. Nature treats us kindly, but apparently that's not always the case with every visitor.

Lots of animals, but no bugs at Mombo ... would it be true, I wonder whether it's too classy a place to tolerate anything bothering the guests, lol.

Apparently some are a bit bothered by the prices these days, but that's another issue. It's still tops!

HappyTravels Sep 20th, 2004 09:05 AM

Tsaro pride is still killing the buff, while the pantry and skimmers watch. Recently kills occurred near Duba's manager's house - Paul.

Steroid boys have departed Mombo - south on Chief's Island. At Mombo, the Wheatfireld Boys are still around, but not near the field themselves. Tend to hang out near the camp, and howl all night.

Sorry for the paucity of data - tired - arrived last night - the SAA flight almost did me in. I've done this many times - simply grwoing more intolerant of the SSA seats.

Ericka Sep 20th, 2004 09:15 AM

Wonderful news about the bugs! Thanks for the update. I'm especially please because I am considering a trip to Mombo at exactly the same time next year.

While I fully expect to encounter at least a few - the fewer, the better.

tashak Sep 20th, 2004 09:52 AM

Ericka,
In Botswana, bugs are HIGHLY dependent on time of year. When are you travelling?

HappyTravels Sep 20th, 2004 10:05 AM

Erika, even though bugs are not a problem, do include DEET, just to be sure. We found dry air to be an issue at Savuti et al - lots of lip balm and skin creams help. Night and mornings are chilly - light weight gloves are good.

Ericka Sep 20th, 2004 10:39 AM

We're looking to travel next September. Does that make a difference for bugs in Botswana?

I realize there will be bugs when we're out and about - I just don't want them crawling in my bed! :-)

HappyTravels Sep 20th, 2004 10:55 AM

Erika, one person with us last week was bitten several times, by what, I do not know. We were in several place, and don't believe Mombo is where it occurred. He had a slight reaction. None of the rest of us was bothered. So, if you react, take a med with you. Did not see insects in Mombo camp or the rooms. Only a wild squirrel and lizard which got inside. If you are around buffalo on your game drives, you may get some insects - the cattle egret are there to eat them up, as the buff' move along and stir them up. You would thus get more at a place like Duba Plians which has large buff herds. As you plan, keep tabs on Wilderness Safaris newsletter updates -informative.

HappyTravels Sep 20th, 2004 10:58 AM

If this is your first trip there, research for packing lists - very useful.

Keep in mind the mornings will be cool. Later, warm. And washing at Mombo is very good -

Post here if your have Qs in the months ahead.

PredatorBiologist Sep 20th, 2004 10:11 PM

Happy: Welcome back -- look forward to the report once you settle in.

Would love to hear about any of the male lions at Duba as I saw 13 and was fascinated by them -- especially the Duba Boys who were becoming senior citizens and it was going to be interesting as the battle of power should be ensuing. Also, was there a guide named Katembo still there?

HappyTravels Sep 21st, 2004 05:41 AM

Status at Duba September 9-13: eight lionesses make up Tsara pride - they are the hunters - old male Gus stays with them and takes their kills. Younger male and lionness are mating - the rest of Tsara males are out on their own.

Skimmer pride fought Tsaro and lost two cubs - presently four lionesses and about seven cubs surviving. The pantry pride consists of another 5-6 females, possibly a cub or two. Males not seen.

The buff were in the Tsaro area - near the camp. And the pride was hunting constantly -always with the herd, pressing them. We saw two kills, several near kills. Interesting and a bit sacery ate times, because we were with them in the dark, in the water, close, very.

Duba was terrific - Paul and Jsami manage it very well. Not aware of that guide - we had Gregg. Still has six tents - we were in #5.

PredatorBiologist Sep 21st, 2004 06:52 AM

Thanks for the Duba update! Glad to hear you had an amazing time there as it was my favorite camp.

rgiampo1 Sep 28th, 2004 03:29 PM

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and using all the good info to plan a 2005 trip. I'd like to give back by providing details on using the AMEX Platinum card's 2-for-1 deal:

While it does save money, it's not as much as you are led to believe. The ticket is based on a "J" fare and not the more common "C" fare. I Just bought two SAA ATL-CPT for Jul-05:

Paid fare - $11,405
Free fare - 115 (tax)
Ticketing fee - 29 x 2
Platinum card - $395

Regards,

tashak Sep 28th, 2004 11:23 PM

Ericka, when I was in Bots in September, there were virtually no bugs, except for a (very few) tsetse flies. The tsetse flies were not all that common, but they can bite, and it raises a welt that looks like a mosquito bite or bee-sting. To avoid them, don't wear black, or blue (either bright or dark) colors. Long sleeves and pants are the best protection...They bite during the day only. No one saw or experienced any mozzie bites, though theoretically it can happen, so malaria precautions are still recommended.

Honestly, there are far fewer insects in Bots in September than you would experience outside anywhere wild in the US!