First time to Africa-need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to South Africa in September. As I started researching I am overwhelmed by the options available.
I am looking for a company preferably in Africa who will work with me to design our trip based on their experience and expertise. We are willing to consider a small group tour but I have looked at OAT and others and just cant seem to find the right fit.

We expect to spend 15-18 days and would like to include Cape Town, Garden Route, Phinda and Sabi Sands. Our budget allows for a combination of moderate and luxury accommodations. We are in our 60's well traveled and active.

Any suggestions to get me started would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 04:15 PM

I used Dave Patterson from The Africa Safari for my first trip this April and he was a joy to work with. I would opt to go independently rather than go as part of a group tour. Click on my name for my trip report in the case that it may be useful to you.
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Can highly recommend Tanya Kotze of Africa Direct. We traveled to South Africa in 2012 and the trip she arranged was fantastic and came in under our budget for very nice accommodations. Was easy to book via email and pay by credit card.

The company website is

http://www.africadirect.co.za

Click on "about us" to see her bio.

I also think I probably (maybe?) did a trip report if you click on my name.

Anyway, highly recommend Tanya as very responsive and willing to tailor a trip to your interests.

Best of luck. It's a great country to visit.
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 06:14 PM

No need to use a travel agent. S Africa is very tourist friendly with a good infrastructure for travel. Since you already know what you want to do, just do it!

Fly to Cape Town. Do all the fun stuff - use Hylton Ross (that's who the travel agents will call for you) for private transfers and tours. Or rent a car if you prefer. There are also small group tours available. The Cape of Good Hope and the Penguins at Boulder Beach, winelands if you want to. Robben Island and Table Mountain can be reached by cab or Uber. Stay in a great hotel, guest house (see Airbnb and tripadvisor for reviews) or even a hostel.

Rent a car for the Garden Route. It's really the only way to do it unless you have the means for a private tour. I don't know of any group tours. Drive for a few days, stay in Knysha, Plettenberg Bay, Storms River, or any spots you'd like. Fly Port Elizabeth to Durban. Call &Beyond, the owners of Phinda, for help with your safari portion. They can arrange transfers, flights (there is a fly free to Phinda special so find out how to save using that special without JNB) and getting between Phinda and one of their lodges in Sabi Sand.

What's with Sabi Sand? There are five private reserves unfenced to Kruger that are all excellent. Timbavati, Klaserie, Manyeleti, Balulu and Sabi Sand. SS spends a lot marketing to the US and Europe wealthy markets. It works! Anyway, there are many lodges that I would recommend but using an &Beyond lodge will work best with Phinda. See their website to choose the one that works best for you.

I don't think your budget will work and you are trying to do a lot in a short time. Four nights CT minimum, four nights GR, Phinda for 3 nights minimum, Kirkmans or other &Beyond greater Kruger lodge for at least three nights, Joberg (I like the city and highly recommend the HopOn HopOff bus with Soweto extension to get a taste of a great historic city). That's 15 nights and Phinda and Sabi Sand lodges are high end.

For a very nice but much less expensive option, do Leopard Mountain or Rhino River Lodge in Zululand Rhino Reserve, a reserve very near Phinda, and Cheetah Plains, Arathusa or one of the other middle of the road lodges in Sabi Sand or Senalala, Motswari or one of hundreds of great lodges in the other reserves in every price and luxury range. Personally, I'd skip the Garden Route and spend more time in the area near Phinda called KwaZulu Natal. It's my favorite area of S Africa. Beautiful mountains, gorgeous warm beaches - the only place in S Africa in September you can swim in the ocean, plus great public and private game reserves and the gorgeous iSimangaliso Wetland Park and the fun town of St Lucia. Rent a car in Durban and enjoy it all. KZN is easy to get around with the N2 major highway connecting most places very easily. I love it.

You can also drive between Phinda/KZN to Greater Kruger. We drive through Swaziland and stay in Mbabane for a night. There's a nonstop flight from Durban to Nelspruit if you prefer to fly. No need to fly through JNB as many agents will recommend.

Here's a map of the reserves and many lodges in Greater Kruger. Google a few - the websites are good to see what you might like or dislike and the rates are on most sites. The rates are higher for more luxury not better game viewing. http://assets.sunsafaris.com/Map-of-Kruger-Camps.pdf

Enjoy whatever you decide to do. The agents mentioned are good, but it's easy to plan your own. Google, Fodors, AirBnB and tripadvisor are very helpful. If you choose to use an agent, stay in budget. Many will recommend higher rate lodges than your budget allows, charters between lodges, expensive hotels. S Africa can easily be done in any budget - and I have!

Just ask if there's any questions you have. I love S Africa and want you to love it too, in a budget you are comfortable with. Have fun planning. Just be aware that popular Kruger lodges are already being booked for September. It's amazing how popular S Africa has become.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 04:40 PM

Hi Firstlake!

You have quite an itinerary in mind. Sounds great! You are combining some incredible places in one trip. I particularly like that you want to include Phinda in your travels. Such a beautiful reserve and the only one with 7 different eco-systems! AndBeyond has a number of beautiful lodges there, all distinctly different in decor and atmosphere.

Combining Phinda with another AB lodge in Sabi or Timbavati, such as Kirkmans or Ngala (or Ngala Tented), would streamline the logistics as you can now fly between their lodges and potentially secure a long stay discount.

Without knowing your budget, it is hard to make recommendations on your overall itinerary but I really like the flow from Cape Town to the Garden Route to Phinda to one of the private reserves abutting Kruger.

As Christabir pointed out, you should either start working with a safari planner or start your own targeted search of lodges as soon as possible because September 2017 is already getting tight on space at many lodges. In fact, I am already working on 2018 bookings!

Happy to help!
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 05:15 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
With your plans to visit in September, I would set up a schedule that moves roughly north to south, giving the weather time to improve in the Western Cape. You'll still have good wildlife viewing conditions in the north and in KZN - warm but not hot temperatures, less foliage blocking your views, few if any mosquitoes (and probably no need for malaria prophylaxis, although that's a personal choice.)

I'd also strongly recommend trying to add a couple of days (or more) at the end to drive up the west coast from Cape Town - to West Coast National Park and Paternoster, maybe all the way to Namaqualand, for the amazing spring wildflower show in that area. It will blow your mind.

I'd consider starting in Johannesburg, then drive to somewhere on the Panorama Route for a day or two before heading to the Sabi Sand or other Kruger-area lodge or camp. I like Graskop as a good base in the area - it's comfortable and very close to some of the Panorama Route highlights like the Blyde canyon, Three Rondavels, God's Window, etc., <i>and</i> staying in Graskop (or Pilgrim's Rest) puts you within an easy morning's drive to any of the SSGR/Kruger area reserves. This is important in cost terms; it gives you time to get there and get settled in before the evening game drive, which you'll have paid big money for. Arriving too late in the afternoon might eliminate this option, and remember night comes early in the late winter.

Speaking just personally, if time became an issue I would probably drop Phinda, which, while very enjoyable, is also very expensive and - again, just to me - not as compelling a destination as other places or activities that you could put in its place. In addition to the west coast, I'd also spend a day or more at Addo Elephant National Park, which can be a good "launching" point for your drive along the Garden Route - fly from JNB to Port Elizabeth and drive from there.

Enjoy yourself, and start budgeting for your return visit, which is inevitable.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 07:38 PM

"not as compelling a destination.... " pure poppycock. KZN is beautiful and game viewing in the game reserves is excellent. Very different ecosystems than Kruger. It's an excellent combination. The ocean is warm and gorgeous, the mountains are stunning.

Since safari is the highlight, I like to end with the best.
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Oh my-so much info -thanks all-I am looking at maps and reading reviews-there is so much to see and only so much time!

Initially I had thought of trying to see VF but beginning to think we will focus on the South area and maximize our visit. We prefer to do in depth visits to one country at a time and not spend too much time travelling or at airports.

The various views on Phinda are interesting-the only reason I had ever even heard of it was a friend was there and she spoke highly of her experience.
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 02:46 PM

<i>"not as compelling a destination.... " pure poppycock.</i>

What parts of "speaking just personally," or "just to me" did you not understand?

Of course KZN is gorgeous and the Indian Ocean is warm. But Giant's Castle and Cathedral Peak in the central Drakensberg are beautiful too, and so is (to me, please note) the arid country around Madikwe or the emptiness of the central Karoo. The whole country is a feast for the senses. Yes, Phinda has a slightly different climate and geology/ecology than other places in SA, and the &Beyond accommodations are lovely. (Full disclosure, I've only stayed at the Forest Lodge.)

But time management rears its head, doesn't it? Choices must be made. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

<i>We prefer to do in depth visits to one country at a time and not spend too much time travelling or at airports.</i>

Well, South Africa presents issues even with those limitations. It's a very big country, with an enormous range of wonderful regions, cultural differences (and languages) and using a "deep, not wide" visiting approach (which I endorse) can mean lots of options get left on the table.

Here's a driving route I did over a couple of weeks a few years ago - https://goo.gl/maps/r89k1XFkZNs . Lots of variety, lots of driving, pretty much all of it very rewarding. But I don't mind long drives and others may have entirely views on this style of travel.

I guess I'm saying that if you're traveling in September you have plenty of time to research the regions, the cities and the human geography of South Africa as well as wildlife viewing options. I'd take the time to study these things before committing what can cost lot of money and use up limited time.
Old Dec 25th, 2016, 07:13 AM

Why not contact the Safari Legends
Do a Search for Taga Safaris, they been going for 23 years and live in Africa so they know their stuff.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 08:27 AM

We've done just about everything on you list (and more) but it took us three trips with about a total of 40 nights in South Africa. There are three trip reports from the last two trips (one was sort of done while traveling, and I did the other two after we got back.) I'm not linking to the 2004 trip to Cape Town (and winelands) and Botswana (safari) as it was so long ago and places and people I mentioned are not necessarily in business anymore. But I figure the 2012 and 2016 trips could help you plan. We used Zambezi Travel (their Vic Falls office) in 2012, and Wild-wings Safaris (out of George - on the Garden Route) this past May. Both were stellar to work with, and as we self-drive a lot, it is nice to have contact people to help with any issues that pop up.

Link one, 2012 - on that trip, we wanted to see Victoria Falls, so that trip included Zimbabwe, then we flew to Cape Town to stay with friends and then drove the Garden Route to Addo Elephant Park, then up to Prince Albert so we could drive the Swartberg Pass before returning to Cape Town and Stellenbosch and our flight home. http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ern-africa.cfm
Link two is the "formal" trip report from that same trip. There are links to resources we used in both reports. http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...uth-africa.cfm

Finally, the link from our trip in May, with my brother-in-law and his wife. It was their first trip, and we had a fabulous time. We covered a lot of ground, starting in Johannesburg, then Kruger, an eventful drive through Swaziland, KZN, where we stayed in a surprisingly luxurious camp before driving to the coast for a couple nights on the Indian Ocean. Our next focus was on history (both my husband and his brother are real history nuts) and we visited Zululand, doing a battlefield tour and really learning a lot. Our final stop was a lovely place in the Drakensberg Mountains (turned out to be only about a 3 hour drive to JNB so we didn't need to deal with the city before returning). http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...uth-africa.cfm

Enjoy planning. It is a lot of fun trying to narrow down what you want to do and how long you want to spend. DO try to stay no fewer than 3 nights in each safari camp, because it maximizes your chances of seeing everything you want to see. I wish we'd had better weather on the Garden Route, because it is beautiful and has a lot to offer. We totally enjoyed the Outshoorn on the way back to the Cape Town vicinity, and I'm glad we stayed two nights in Prince George.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Well thanks to all of you I am getting closer to an itinerary-no specifics yet but for sure will include Sabi

5 nights Capetown arriving Aug 30th
2 nights winelands
3-4 nights Garden route
3 nights safari
2 nights somewhere-maybe Panaorama route/Mpumalanga region
3 nights safari

what do you think as far as timing and sequence?
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 04:57 AM

I think it's fine, but for a higher-percentage chance of better weather, reverse things if possible, i.e. start in the north and end in the south.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 11:34 AM

bookmarking