Mom always said better late than never!

Jul 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Mom always said better late than never!

I have FINALLY finished my Africa 2006 album on pbase - it has been two years in the making (I'm a little slow)!

If anyone would like to look at them, I have the album in a day by day format, pictures all labelled, etc. at:

http://www.pbase.com/lyndas/africa_2006

I tried my best to limit it to about 20-30 pictures per day, I kept repeating to myself 'less is more' but in some cases it just didn't work, sorry!

And, I apologize in advance for digging up an old thread, but I have to resurrect my 2006 trip report so that I can post a link at the bottom of that report.
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Lynda,

Thank you for sharing your photos! I just can't seem to get enough of picture viewing from Tanzania knowing I'm going to be there in 3 months. I'm glad you posted them - even late. And it looks like you were having a wonderful time with the big kitties!

Carrie
Jul 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Lynda,

I loved looking at your pictures. Now I just need to finish getting mine done along with my trip report from our trip last Sept.

Julie
Jul 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Carrie, and Julie - what a pleasant surpirse to see your name! How are you? I haven't seen you around on the board lately and I was thinking about how you! Did you enjoy your trip, I'd love to hear all about it!

Cathy and her daughter Val are at this moment back in East Africa, and Raelond went in the springtime, so I was thinking of you and wondering if you were still around the board. Good to hear from you and can't wait to see your pictures & read all about your trip!
Jul 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Oldupai Gorge, you can see the different 'time' layers of the earth
Hmmm…I did not see this when I was there.

The Nile, but this could just as easily been Mars!
I agree!

Kennedy and Valentine
Valentine is so beautiful!

Kennedy, Valentine & daughter Sarah - in our room at Grand Regency Hotel
Kennedy's daughter Agnes - in our room at Grand Regency Hotel

The entire family is beautiful, asante for sharing snaps of some of your rafikis!

Nice collection of snaps all around Lynda.

Grand Regency Hotel
The artwork!

Did you know you were staying in such a *newsworthy* hotel at the time?

Den
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Den, no I didn't know - what was the news on the hotel? I did notice that Micato had us at the Norfolk the next year, and they seem to use this one exclusivly now, but I didn't know if there was reason or not.

Oh oh, am I wrong about the different layers of the earth? I had thought that was what the guide had said that was giving us the lecture, but I did have trouble understanding him, so perhaps I am wrong?

Jul 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Yes Lynda, you and your guide are absolutely right; I am just very jealous I did not happen to see that exact formation!

Hah! The Grand Regency…where to begin?! Your favorite Kenyan newspaper will have daily coverage and much in the archives as well. Furthermore, if you ask, your Kenyan rafikis, I'm sure they will have their points of view to share – it has been quite interesting to me on many levels.
Jul 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Enjoyed your pics, Lynda!
Jul 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Why is the croc apologizing to EJ? Loved the flying crowned cranes. The vervets all posed for you instead of running into the trees. You have the classic Mara cheetah shot. Thanks for posting your collection.

On another thread I asked if you were going to do your Alaska report. I'll inquire again in about 2011 if I don't see it.

Your mom gave good advice. Though my mom has never been to Africa, one of her pieces of advice applies. She says, "You know that saying you can't be too rich or too thin? Well buzz that, but it is true you can't have too many $1 bills."
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Den, I googled the Grand Regency & News articles & clicked on the first site. I just had time to read the headline which was that Libyans had bought the hotel, when all of a sudden a pop up popped up (as I guess that is what pop-ups are supposed to do! ) on the screen that said my computer was loading something. So I shut it down really fast and never did get back to the article! Was this the one you were referring to? I'll have to try my luck to finish reading the article once I verify my back up has been working fine - just in case!

Lynn, that's Jim's sense of humour showing through when he tags pictures - he called the picture 'Crocodile Rock' and then thought he better apologize to Elton John for infringing on the name of one of his hits!

See your post about blondes, etc for my apologies on the Alaska report & the fact that I am indeed starting it!!! Really, I have at least 10 pictures loaded so far!

Moms do indeed give advice, don't they?
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Great photos, Lynda! Thanks for posting.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Hey Lynda! Love the photos. It's kind of neat to see photos for the same tour we took! And finally, it's nice to put a face to your names.

Thanks for sharing - and I'll have more on my blog soon.

Joe
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Author: LyndaS : "Den, I googled the Grand Regency & News articles & clicked on the first site. I just had time to read the headline which was that Libyans had bought the hotel, when all of a sudden a pop up popped up (as I guess that is what pop-ups are supposed to do!) on the screen that said my computer was loading something. I'll have to try my luck to finish reading the article once I verify my back up has been working fine - just in case!"

Whoa! Don’t go back to that site!

Good call on your part to skedaddle! Lynda, I seriously think you need to deepen your moat, raise your drawbridge a bit higher, and post a few sentries that are sharpshooters for those pop-ups at the entrance to your computer! Fortify!

I hope all is well with your computer! I will send you some information and SAFE links offline regarding The Grand Regency. I thought the information would be an easy click away as I just assumed you scan the EA newspapers (and others from that beautiful continent) daily as I do, however, I realize I may be in need of some serious compulsive behavior intervention! Although, I can boast that I did happen to read one article in the local community newspaper just today! The article was covering the grand reopening of a covered bridge that took our DOT six months to renovate but, I have to fess that what caught my eye enough to read the article was that they used… African BONGOISSI timber!

Pole sana I caused you such fuss Lynda!

Den
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

No problem, Den, nothing happened!

It actually turned out to be Microsoft Office 2000 that started to try and load, my IT guy (Jim) was very puzzled as to why it would do that though, considering that we have that loaded already.

So, it probably didn't have anything at all to do with the site, but yes, please send me a link on an article, I would be pleased to receive it!
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Phew! That is good news about your computer. I am just catching up and will send you some links Lynda!

Den