Search

Calo - URGENT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM
africnow

Calo - URGENT

Hi Calo,

As mentioned on your thread I ordered the book "My Heart is Africa" from Chapters Indigo. I have now received an email from them requesting that I fax them my the face of my credit card and the first page of my latest statement.

I have never had this experience before, not with Amazon and not with Abebooks or any other company that I have ordered from before.

Is this for real? I want to be sure that it is not a scam.

They give me only 48 hours to fax them the info or will cancel the order. The fax number that they provide is: 001-905-789-2626.

Does this seem like a real request from Chapters.Indigo?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
africnow:

There is a possibility this could b e a legitimate request. However, I would not fax/mail a picture of my credit card and info from last bill to anyone. Why don't you order it from Amazon if you already have an account with them and play it safe.

Jan
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Other than to steal your three digit code on the face of the credit card, there is no reason they need a copy of the card. And do you really believe they need a copy of your statement (other than to steal personal info). Don't be foolish -- delete the email.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM
africnow

Thank you both. Yes, that was my first reaction too. I do appreciate your advice very much.

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Hi africnow...sorry I didn't see this posting until just now.

I think this is a very odd request from Chapters and I sure wouldn't comply! I've only ever ordered books online from Amazon.ca and have not experienced this kind of thing with them. I agree with the others - cancel the order! I wonder if your local book store would be able to get it in for you?
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM
africnow

Thanks for answering. Yes, I cancelled. I'll wait to see if the book becomes available on amazon.uk or another site sooner than the origianl anticipated date that they gave me.

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Africnow, are you located in the US? If not, which country?

This because there is a lot of credit card fraud from certain countries and it is common for a merchant to protect themselves by assuring that you not only have the physical card, but that the account's billing address is where they will ship the merchandise. Some banks recommend this procedure to their merchants. So, depending on where you are, it may be legitimate!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:29 PM
africnow

I'm in Israel. But legitimate or not, as Jan and thit cho both said, this is info that is too private to fax to anyone. I'll wait.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Hmmm ... I do not believe Israel is on that list...