Reload this Page >

When do Wildflowers bloom in Israel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 11:12 AM
Judy

My last trip to Israel was in late October and the vegetation was rather brown in the Galilee and Golan. I'm thinking of going back this coming spring (probably in early March) and I'm wondering when (and where) the wildflowers are in bloom. Also, any particularly nice preserves/nature locations to visit? Thanks--

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 08:24 PM
jacquie

I'm not sure about the wildflowers, but probably around April... Actually, in the Golan Heights, I think autumn - any good guide book should tell you - I recall reading about the hills in the Golan being covered w/ flowers... <BR> <BR>What I do know is that there's heaps of great walks - Ein Gedi Nature Reserve has walks of varying lengths and Betset creek (in the higher Galillee) are two I recall. Both come highly recommended. I did both of these in the middle of summer and loved them, so they'd probably be even better in Spring.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 12:02 AM
Zwi Schnabel

The wildflowers are very "clever" and their blooming depends on the rain and that's a big problem. The last winter was very bad, let us hope, the coming will be better, that we get the first rain in time and that it will continue raining without too big intervals. End of March my be better than the beginning. There are many places and you can get all informations by the "Society for Protection of Nature". I shall try, to give you the adress. But the real great adventure is the blooming in the Desert. It does not happen every year, but a sudden rain in the Negew Desert may cause pictures you will never forget. <BR>Zwi Schnabel (Israel)

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 12:20 AM
zwi schnabel

Everything depends on the rain, if it will be enough and if the first rain will come in time, and if there won't be too long intervals between the rainy periods. <BR>The wildflowers are very clever.. they decide when to bloom. The end of March would be better than the beginning. All informations about the flowers you will get at the "Society for Protection of Nature". I shall try to give you their address or e-mail (if they have...) There are many places with beautiful flowers in a good winter (the last one was very bad, less than 50% of the usual rainfalling). <BR>A very great experience would be the flower blooming in the desert. It happens only after a sudden rain in the Negew Desert wakes up the seeds, that are waiting for years for this opportunity. When you hear about it, while being in Israel you should not miss this adventure, with pictures, you will never forget .... <BR>Zwi Schnabel (Israel

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 01:09 AM
Zwi Schnabel

As promised: The address of the Society for Protection of Nature: <BR>http://www.spni.org <BR>Zwi

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 01:12 AM
to

! <BR>