mobile tent safari and digital equipment

Mar 24th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

mobile tent safari and digital equipment

I finally purchased a digital camera that I am slowly getting used to. My concern is recharging my battery while on a mobile tent safari. Do I just bring extra batteries to get me through the 10 days? Or will there be a generator so I can recharge?
I will be using Game Trails for a 10 day mobile tent safari in Botswana this August.
I have a Canon Eos Rebel 300D. I have been reading everyone's comments about lenses. I have a 28-300. Will this be enough? It sounds like 100-400 is the ideal from what I've been reading, but I really can't afford to buy another lens.
Thanks
Lily
Mar 24th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Hi Lilli,
Our mobile camp site had a generator close to their prep area where I could plug my chargers in - don't know if that's standard though - you'd think it would be as they have fridges etc to run - but I would ask your operator.

We rotated 3 sets of batteries.

I did purchase a xantrex cig. lighter charger for the vehicle but was unable to use it because it wasn't a perfect fit into our Rover lighter - it would toss out on every bump.

Our Fz30 has up to a 400mm lens and we did use it quite a bit.
Hope that helps;
Sherry
Mar 24th, 2006, 05:28 AM

I went with Game Trails in Oct05 and they had one inverter in the truck to use. Another person on the trip had an inverter that had 2 plugs and they wired it direct to the battery (since there is only one cig. lighter plug) so we had plenty of charging ability. Game Trails did not use a generator on our trip.

You will get plenty of great pictures with your 28-300 lens (using this lens on your camera makes it have an effective focal distance of 44-480mm). You might do a little research and see if that lens works well with a 1.4x converter. If it does, that will extend your distance to 672mm at a cost of appx $250.

Search this Thread