Mobile camping in Botswana with children

Jan 18th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Mobile camping in Botswana with children

Hi,
I am going back to Botswana in the second week of february. Will go on a private mobile camping safari with Unlimited Tours and Safaris with roughly the following itinerary:
Okavango Delta - 2 nights
Moremi, Kazinnkini - 3 nights
Nxai Pan - 2 nights
Makgadikgadi 2 nights
Kalahari 4 nights

Looking into perhaps switching some nights for Kwando Tau Pan or Nxai if there is availability. Really looking forward to seeing Moses and Thuso from Unlimited again and going on safari with them. It will be great! I would be happy for comments on the itinerary, anything you would do differently?

The most fun part is that my soon 13-year old daughter will come along for the first time. This is really exciting and I really hope that she will fall in love with Africa just like I have done. So I want this to be a really good experience for her, and would appreciate all tips and advice you can give me on how to make this as good as possible for her.

Will bring along a field book, camera and binoculars for her and hopefully break up the safari with a few nights in a lodge for some pool time, internet access and the possibility for us to do different things (she can skip a game drive if she wants or go an a walk or something like that).

Anything else you can think of, appreciate all ideas so we can make this a great experience for us both and hopefully this is just the first safari of many together!

thanks in advance!
/Tom
Jan 19th, 2014, 10:51 AM

Have her keep a journal of her experiences. Have her start now with what she expects from the safari and any other notes she might want to make. Then, keep up the journal as the safari progresses. After she's returned home and had some time to process the experience, she can add her final notes. Since you'll most likely be in camp during the middle of the day, that would be a good time do the journaling. A lot of the safari companies will have activities geared toward young travelers. Check with Unlimited Tours and find out about the guide you will be using and if they like kids and will have some special experiences planned.
Jan 20th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ShayTay,
thats a good suggestion, a journal will keep her occupied and it is also a good way to remember everything. I have sometimes done this and it´s a really nice way to spend time in camp, lying in bed doing some notes and thinking about what you saw on the morning game drive. Writing a trip report/notes when coming home is usually quite difficult, I tend to forget and mix things quite easily!

I have been guided by Moses Ntema before and I am quite certain he will be excellent with kids, I will ask him for some special experiences and see what he comes up with!

Any other good ideas our there?

Search this Thread