Search

Mnemba Island/ Stone Town and transport

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mnemba Island/ Stone Town and transport

Hi

we are planning our first trip to Africa for our honeymoon. i have always wanted to go but dont know much about it so excuse the stupid questions!

we are planning to stay at mnemba island and were wondering about the best banda to ask for and also options for transfers (is it easy to get local transport and safe, are there transfer companies etc). CC Africa have quoted around $80 USD pp to get from the airport to Mnemba. How does this sound. The boat crossing without the drive is $30 pp if we want to meet them there.

We are then planning to spend a day and a half (one night) in stone town and would be grateful for recommendations on places to stay- we are looking at top end with great views. any recommendations for things to do while we are there or is wandering around just best?
--------

We are then flying to Jo'Burg for our safari section of the holiday. I will post these Q's on the south african forum too but just incase anyone knows about both places...

We are thinking of
3night at londolozi tree camp- ideas on best suite?
3nights- Ngala tented camp- again does it matter which tent or do they all have the same views of the river and potentially animals...

What do people think of moving to two places. Should we just stay at one or is the move worth it?

i have no idea how to get to each safari destination. should i book the flights through a place like CC africa or do it myself.. Which airlines do this route? Does it end up taking a long time- we want to limit travel time as much as possible.

We are then thinking of the Saxon in Jo'Burg for two nights- a spa day and then the apartied musuem and fly out the next. Anyone know how to arrange transfers to Saxon safely and around town?

Thank you so much for any help- we want to make it fantastic!
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:24 AM

We just returned from Mnemba and it was fabulous! All of the bandas seemed the same to me. So no need to request anyone. I wouldn't worry about the $80 fee for transportation. It was probably a 45-60 minute drive. Get ready for a really bumpy last leg!

Stonetown really did not have much to offer. We did some shopping. I would also recommend staying at the Zanzibar Serena. However, we stayed in one of their huge multiroom suites with multiple balconies. It was gorgeous. Some other rooms looked like camp bunks. So I am not sure what the story is over there. The front desk was really difficult (tried to give us regular room when we paid for fancy room, had mysterious $85 charge on bill, etc.). Despite these difficulties, I would still recommend the hotel. They have a great lobster dinner at night in one of their restuarants. It is like $25 for four courses including a lobster. It was excellent.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:25 AM

Oh..In terms of you South Africa safari, I would consider Royal Malewane. We stayed there two years ago and it was fabulous. Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley had left the morning we arrived! Great game viewing, beautiful rooms, and excellent service.
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:10 AM

HoneyM,

We were at Mnemba several years ago and agree that all the bandas were wonderful and private. You may want to ask for one away from the main lodge area if you want more privacy. Stonetown has an interesting market and I'm a big fan of just wandering around, so that's what I'd do. We were there with another couple who wanted a guide (which we did), but there was nothing you couldn't do on your own. I'd have rather been on my own. The doors on the buildings in Stonetown are really beautiful.

We were at Ngala Tented Camp last Sept. and while all the tents have the same "view", you may want to inquire about the tent with the most privacy. My only complaint about Ngala is that the tents are very close together and you can literally hear the conversations in the tent next to you. Let CC Africa (or your travel agent) know that you're on your honeymoon and ask for the most private tent. Also, there is no river view from any tent. The tents look out on a pretty lawn area. There were impalas grazing most of the time during our stay, but this isn't really a camp where there are good animal viewing opportunities from your tent. I'm sure there could be the occasional animal that wanders into camp, but compared to other places we've been this doesn't seem as likely. We did however, enjoy the camp. The tents are fabulous and the staff is very nice and accommodating.

Lastly, I think you'll enjoy staying in 2 different properties in South Africa, especially since the transfer between Ngala and Londolozi is quick and painless. Three nights at each will give you a good feel for the area. We personally like 4 nights, but 3 works well too. I'd arrange for transfers through CCAfrica or your travel agent if you're using one. We've been to Africa 3 times and each time stayed primarily in CC Africa properties. They do a great job handling the transfers and in my mind this is a detail I wouldn't want to worry about on my honeymoon (or any other time really).

You have a wonderful trip ahead of you. My main advice would be to let someone else (like CC Africa) handle the details for you so you can relax and enjoy your honeymoon.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM

We have stayed at Ngala Tented Camp and had a great time. This camp is very small and intimate with great guiding and food. The first time the baboons jumped on the tent was a thrill.

We also stayed at Stonetown Serena. The air conditioning did not work, but the two dinners we had on the roof overlooking the beach were among the best ever.

Had 3 nights a Mnemba. Our butler Roger was amazing and the food exceptional. Peter and rest of staff are charming and will leave you alone or engage as you wish. We loved walking around the island with no other footprints early in the AM. The diving is fantastic.

IAN PROCTOR of Ultimate Africa has arranged all our trips to Aftica, the complex transfers and great accomodations. He knows everyone and will produce a trip based on your budget. We like to have a varied experience, some very small camps and some luxury. You need to have an agent with such an involved itinerary.