Mkhaya Reserve/Penwarn Lodge?

Feb 27th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Mkhaya Reserve/Penwarn Lodge?

We are planning a family vacation to South Africa at the end of April. Two places were highly recommended to us by a previous visitor: Mkhaya Wildlife Reserve in Swaziland and Penwarn Lodge in the Southern Drakensburg mountains near the national park. I've looked at previous recent postings and couldn't find any reference to these spots. Anyone had any experience with them? We are especially interested in doing some game viewing on horseback.

Also, I was following the recommendations for guesthouses on the Garden Route/Capetown and wine area, but a couple of them don't take children. Any ideas about child-friendly spots? Our kids are 8 and 12 years old. Thanks!
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:33 AM

We stayed at Stone Lodge in Mkhaya in the fall and I would recommend it. I don't believe that they permit horse back riding, but they do do walking drives. You can find information on Mkyaya by checking the Swazi tourist site. They have extensive information on the Swazi parks. Mkhaya is not a "disneyfied" experience...it seems more like the real thing.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:34 PM

I've also been to Mkhaya, which is one of the best African parks in which to see rhinos. I think we saw 14 or so during our half-day tour. I didn't stay over, but did have lunch at the lodge, and it looks comfortable. Its also quiet and a much different experience than much busier Kruger.

Search this Thread