Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Misskris CT and GR plans, for Judy, Selwyn and the other experts

Misskris CT and GR plans, for Judy, Selwyn and the other experts

Nov 5th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Misskris CT and GR plans, for Judy, Selwyn and the other experts

Hi everybody here at Fodors:

Thanks again for the help I have already gotten concerning my plans for Cape Town and the Garden Route. Thanks to you, Judy, we changed plans to go up to Addo. Nevertheless, we will also spend a night at Botlierskop. So our two "game experiences" will be Botlierskop and Addo. Unfortunately we can't fit in the famous "Tooth & Claw" at Schotia.

Our plans so far -with lots of questions left for you

We are booked into an appartment at Village and Life, Camps Bay, for the first week of our three-week-vavation. Selwyn seems to know the Brighton Court complex, I hope it is not too run down? I read that somewhere, but from the website it really looked nice?

For the first few days in Camps Bay we will not have a Car. Judy, Selwyn and everybody else who might know: What taxi fare should we expect from Camps Bay to, say, the Waterfront, Table Mountain, Long Street , basically the sights IN Cape Town? Is there a taxi rank near Village and Life?

We will have a car the last two days and tour the Peninsula.

Second week: Drive along the Garden Route to Addo, stop in Hermanus, Botlierskop, Knysna, on to Addo. Have two days to return to Cape Town from Addo, still not sure where to stay overnight?

Third week: Stay in the winelands, still with car, take day trips, one to Langebaan (want to go to Strandloper) and do whatever else we have "missed" in the first week. Go visit a lot of wineries

Now the big question: Where do we stay the last week? I would sort of like to split the week, stay a few days in a nice guesthouse IN a town (not sure if Franschoek or Stellenbosch) and then maybe two or three day on a wine estate in the countryside (sort of as a splurge before we leave to fly back home very early in the morning). Does anybody have any recommodations for this?

Thank you so much for your help! Sorry that this is so long again...

Misskris (who is a little bit overwhelmed with planning on such short notice.... I thought we would take it more "by ear", but as Judy advised, it will probably be better to pre-book)
Nov 5th, 2004, 07:32 AM

MissKris
We really enjoyed our stay at the Plumwood Inn in Franschhoek - found it a great base for the winelands - friendly hosts, nice rooms and great, peaceful location at the edge of town yet only minutes walk to some great eating options.
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Hello Misskris,

Delighted to hear you're now planning to include Addo.

Most of my explorations of Cape Town have been done on a self-drive basis. It's so long since I've caught a cab there, I really wouldn't be able to estimate current fares.

I looked up a fairly current (June 2004) website that indicated that a cab ride from Camps Bay to downtown Cape Town took about 20 minutes and cost about 75 ZAR (12 USD).

Other Fodorites have mentioned, though, that cab fares in Cape Town are not fixed, and one cab might charge one rate while another cab might charge a different rate. So it's a good idea to ask the driver the rate before climbing into the cab.

I don't know how close your apartment complex is to a taxi rank. If all else fails, you would be able to call for a cab.

You certainly could drive from Addo to the winelands in 2 days, with only 1 overnight stop. However, if you want to savour Meiringspoort and the Swartberg Pass at a more leisurely pace (which I do recommend), there might be merit in doing the drive over 3 days / 2 nights. Keep in mind that parts of the Garden Route, the Swartberg Pass, etc., involve driving on winding roads. You also may want to get from Oudtshoorn / Prince Albert to the winelands via a more inland route (through Majtiesfontein, etc.) just for the sake of variety and to avoid backtracking on exactly the same route by which you travelled eastwards.

I think Franschhoek would be a great choice for your initial stay in the winelands. It's a small, artsy town with some fabulous dining opportunities.

For your last couple of nights, you might want to consider Cathbert Country Inn, in the beautiful countryside a few miles outside of Stellenbosch.

Search this Thread