Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Miracle of miracles: we've chosen a Tanzania tour operator!

Miracle of miracles: we've chosen a Tanzania tour operator!

Aug 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Miracle of miracles: we've chosen a Tanzania tour operator!

After what seemed like eons of collaborating data, details, trip reviews, etc.. and comparing tour company after tour company, my husband and I have chosen to use ATR, Africa Travel Resource for our trip.
We get there January 16, YAY!

I want to thank you all again for the helpful hints and reviews.
Aug 12th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Congratulations BostonGal! Just curious what were the deciding factors in your ultimate choice? What did ATR offer that the others did not?
Aug 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thyra -
It was tough, I will admit... I started out with contacting 5-6 operators. Some didn't bother to get back to me.
I was really focusing on Thomson, Good Earth and ATR, all from recommendations and referrals. Although I would have loved to travel with Thomson, they were just way too expensive. I would have sacrificed $1-2K more to go with them, but they were more like 5K over our original budget..
So that left me with ATR and GE. I heard so many wonderful things about GE, but I was not getting the customer service that I was expecting. Truth be told, I was very disappointed. I even contacting 2 additional companies yesterday to further help (or drive me mad hahaha) my decision, and they both got back to me incredibly fast with details.

In the end, we chose ATR because of 2 personal recommendations as well as reviews I've read on travel forums, the incredible response and customer I received from day 1, their prices, and their constant patience with my (what felt like) millions of questions.

Are you planning a trip as well?
Aug 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Very exciting for you BostonGal, would you mind sharing your itinerary and/or cost? I'm not able to go to Tanzania until Jan. of '07 but I've also been in contact with ATR and really appreciate their patience and promt relpies. Thank you.
Aug 12th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Dear Boston Gal,
For better or worse, I am always planning a trip. However, my one safari experience was fantastic (2Afrika 2002) and I really want to go back (Zambia/Botswana and Rwanda are on the short list right now). Before I start digging in I wanted to find out what they did that sealed the deal for you. Frankly it doesn't surprise me that customer service was the deal breaker! I put A LOT of importance on the level of customer service I get.. sure I am easy going about a lot of things, but I don't want to wait more then a day or two to hear back from you.. these trips cost a lot and let's face it, they are emotional too...
Well congratulations again, please post trip report when you get back!! I will check out ATR, ASAP.
Aug 13th, 2005, 01:06 AM

Congratulations BostonGal

We will miss you by 4 days - did you have any problems getting the accomodation you wanted? looking forward to seeing itinerary.

Sarvo

Search this Thread