Mine Strikes in South Africa

Oct 18th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Mine Strikes in South Africa

Hi All
I thought I would put up this post as I just heard a tour operator on the radio who brings in groups from Canada and has had 4 groups cancel because of the mine strikes and violence that has occurred in South Africa.

Rest assured this is no reason to cancel your trip to South Africa as these are very isolated incidents which do not happen in the Sabi Sands or Cape Town or any other tourist spot. Trust the media to over play it as usual to sell their newspapers and TV coverage. At this moment I have a number of groups on safari and all is well.

I would love to hear your feedback.

Yours on Safari
Mark
Owner of Taga Safaris Africa
Oct 18th, 2012, 09:10 AM

The strikes would not cause me to cancel a trip. My first safari to Africa was to Kenya and I arrived in Nairobi a week after the US embassy bombing. Certainly, it was a sober time for Kenya, but didn't adversely effect my safari. I was also in Zimbabwe in 2000 after the elections when the farm takeovers were starting... no problems there, either, although two of my three travel companions cancelled... their loss.
Oct 19th, 2012, 02:40 PM

I was there last week and while not directly impacted by the mine strikes, there was a truck strike going on in which a driver was killed. This occurred on the offramp of the highway going to Stellenbosch from Cape Town. Link here: http://news.iafrica.com/sa/820657.html

Other than that it all seemed quiet and safe.

Search this Thread