Flights from Cairo - early early a.m.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were planning to fly from Luxor to Cairo on a Tuesday, overnight at the Mena, then get our return flight Wednesday to the US on Delta. I see the return flight is ow leaving at 1:30 a.m. rather than 12:30 p.m. I wonder if it's even worth heading into town or if we'd be better just killing a few hours at the airport.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:11 PM

What time is your flight from Luxor supposed to arrive in Cairo? I hope it isn't cut too short now, as what will you do if the flight out of Luxor is late?

By NO means would it ever probably be the best idea to try to go clear to the Mena House from the airport between flights that are not 24 hours separated. The Mena House is almost as far from the airport as you could choose to be for the night. If you need some hotel, there are plenty near to the airport.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM

I'd agree with Casual Cairo and would like to add that since the Oberoi pulled out of managing the Mena House, the place is really going down the tubes. By all means, have a drink or meal on the grounds, but don't expect anything but very shabby rooms at rather pricey rates!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM

When did Oberoi stop managing the Mena House (it's still on their website, and the recent reviews on TripAdvisor are still excellent).

Kak113, unless there's something you want to do in Cairo, I'd probably stay in Luxor, take an evening flight (but be sure there are others after your's in case your's is delayed or cancelled), and hang out at the airport. The alternative is to arrive in Cairo early afternoon, get a hotel near the airport as Casual Cairo suggested, and you'll at least have someplace to hang out until you have to leave for your flight (probably around 11 p.m.).
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM

I agree with sf7307. I don't think the Oberoi has dumped the Mena House. They have sold some of their properties (such as the Pharos Nile Dinner Cruise boats a couple years ago), but I think the Mena House is still theirs.
Phinn, where did you hear or read such news? And when were you there that you would say it went "down the tubes"? I was there on Saturday and Sunday this last week, and it looks exactly the same and smells like jasmine (they burn jasmine oil in the palace area to keep it smelling wonderful)