Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Migration of the wildebeest and their crossing of the Mara river (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/migration-of-the-wildebeest-and-their-crossing-of-the-mara-river-923504/)

les112 Feb 10th, 2012 03:15 PM

Migration of the wildebeest and their crossing of the Mara river

I went for 3 weeks to the Masai Mara to observe the wildebeest migration and the breathtaking spectacle of the crossing of the Mara river. First, I would like emphasise that apart from the actual crossing, It is a period of plenty for most animals, and there is this sense of excitement and increase in activity across the whole of the Masai Mara. It is therefore a good time to observe the predators of the plains, the lions, cheetahs, and hyenas as well as the other big five game animals.

In regard to the witnessing the interaction between the crocodiles and the wildebeest during the actual crossings of the Mara river, observing the actual crocodile attack is in large part a roll of the dice. Come a few days early, and the herds will be far from the river. Come a few days late and the crocodiles will have had their fill. So timing is everything. To help with the planning and to provide some background information of the crossings I have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/africa...gration-kenya/ Including images and maps.

Percy Feb 10th, 2012 05:54 PM

Very nice

I enjoyed the your report and the pictures.

atravelynn Feb 11th, 2012 04:53 AM

Great illustrated Mara migration primer!

CaliNurse Feb 11th, 2012 08:10 PM

Great information. Thank you, Les

CaliNurse Feb 11th, 2012 08:11 PM

What time of year were you there?

les112 Feb 11th, 2012 08:28 PM

mid july

pixelpower Feb 12th, 2012 11:17 PM

> mid juli
> wildebeest migration
> Maasai Mara

Does not compute.

I thought the migration was then only in Grumeti area, moving to Ikorongo area (both Tanzania). Only by September the migration is supposed to cross the Mara into Kenya.

Are you sure these are not just local herds moving around? Your maps, and the period, seem to indicate that.

Or am I missing something?

Thx,

J.

Hanuman Feb 13th, 2012 12:43 AM

pixel,

We were there, Masai Mara, in early August 2011 and our first camp was surrounded by a mega herd of wildebeest. A gold guide, camp guides and camp owners estimated the numbers to be around 700,000+. Another large group of animals were supposed to had crossed into the Masai Mara in July with several crossings.

Richard_Trillo Feb 13th, 2012 09:08 AM

pixelpower, the migration is increasingly "unscheduled". For the last two years the Serengeti herds have started moving into the Mara by mid-June and the crossings have started in earnest in July.

Richard

gatoratlarge Feb 13th, 2012 05:01 PM

Thanks a lot...we're going the first week of August 2012 so you give me great hope we'll see some spectacular sights!

Percy Feb 13th, 2012 05:56 PM

I can tell you exactly when I saw the Migration.

August 30th at 12 Noon.

I looked at my watch and said , "it is 3 AM back home and I am watching this amazing sight."

atravelynn Feb 13th, 2012 07:53 PM

Leely saw the migration in June!

Aug is always good, the wildes can be coming or going or a little of both, Gator!

pixelpower Feb 13th, 2012 11:33 PM

Got a bit more info on Safaritalk. It's not just that the migration is irregular.

OK, it IS irregular. A lot depends on the rains, and when and where they fall (this part I knew), but it also depends on prairie burns. Seems the new fire regime is responsible for the migration staying longer in that area.

But more importantly; there's apparently more than one migration. A second migration, called the Loita migration, is much more resident in the Maasai Mara and crosses the river a few times per year. To the public, this local migration is also marketed as "the great migration".

Anyone who sees lots of wildebeest cross the Mara in July is looking at the Loita migration, not the animals coming from Tanzania.

B.regs,

J.

pixelpower Feb 13th, 2012 11:34 PM

"that area" = Grumeti

Sorry.