Migration Camp, Northern Serengeti

Aug 13th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Migration Camp, Northern Serengeti

Looks like Migration Camp will be open again by Mid-September, in totally new facilities. I went by the camp site in late (26?) July and observed a lot of rebuilding action. The camp was supposed to re-open 15 July, but the new owners discovered that everything had to be rebuilt, including the plumbing and the tent bases. The work I saw looked first class, and the location is wonderful.
Migration Camp is the only quality accommodation inside the Northern Serengeti, the alternatives are the Lobo Wildlife Lodge (location = WOW!!; Rooms/food/water = YUCK!!) and Klein's camp outside the park. The northern Serengeti is beautiful, but its a couple of hours from the center, so staying in the North makes game drives much more convenient.
Aug 14th, 2004, 04:07 AM
sandi

Thanks for the update. I also understand there had been a fire at Migration Camp shortly after renovations commenced. This, no doubt, caused some delay towards completion of new tents and facilities here.

SusanLynne - they'll be ready for you when you arrive in October.

Aug 14th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

I was originally told fire damage caused the delay. There are extensive burned areas south of the river, but I didn't see any at the part of the camp I could see (we couldn't cross the footbridge over the ravine because it had been rebuilt and just varnished) Could have been fire damage just over the ridge where I couldn't see it.
Aug 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Scout52 and Sandi: Yeah, I heard the Sopa chain is really trying to do a good job with the re-building/renovations. Part of the charm of Migration Camp is that it is so removed from central Serengeti. Goodness, I can't wait to get there!!!!

Search this Thread