Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Migration and Kikoti Tented Camps (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/migration-and-kikoti-tented-camps-433203/)

Scout52 May 18th, 2004 11:03 PM

Migration and Kikoti Tented Camps

We are going to Tanzania 17-31 July, travelling the northern circuit. Mostly staying at Serana lodges, but will spend 2 nights at Kikoti and 3 nights at Migration. My specific question about these locations is, do they have safe deposit boxes to lock up valuables/passports? My general question is how are the camps in general? We booked the safari with Roy safaris, who seem to have an excellent reputation, but I'm not sure about the camps. Appreciate any information you can provide!

sandi May 19th, 2004 03:47 AM

Scout52 - As to the availability of a safe at these camps, I would suggest you ask this question of Roy Safaris who can check if out, especially if others who have stayed at these camps didn't use the safes. I can only assume that you won't have a safe in your room/tent, ut it's likely there is a safe at the Reception area. But do verify with Roy Safaris.

As to Kikoti and Migration Camps, may I suggest you do a "search" on the main page of this board. On the top of the page is a place to enter "Kikoti Camp" or "Migration Camp" or "Tarangire" then press GO and a list of posts containing information will appear on the left - read thru these threads for comments on your requests.

Scout52 May 19th, 2004 04:07 AM

Sandi, thanks for the suggestions. I did do a search on this forum, other forums, and Google, but most of the data was dated, so I thought there may be someone in this forum who had recently visited the camps. I read somewhere, I think this forum, that Migration camp had gone into receivership, but Roy Safaris says it's doing fine now. Just wanted to see if I could get some independent confirmation on current camp conditions.

Again, thanks for your reply.

sandi May 19th, 2004 04:26 AM

Scout52 - You're right there is some old information, but Migration Camp has been taken over by another company (I'm so bad with names, as to whom it was). The camp is doing just fine. Things like this happen often throughtout Africa.

Scout52 May 19th, 2004 04:47 AM

Sandi, Thanks!

SusanLynne May 19th, 2004 06:04 AM

Scout52: Migration Camp did go into receivership, but it has since been taken over by the Sopa chain - which is very respectable. Migration Camp does not offer the luxury of a Crater Lodge, but the beauty of it is its location. Utterly remote and fantastic views of the plains. Prior to it being taken over by the Sopa chain, the food was reported to be good, but not anything to write home about. As for Kikoti, I am heading there myself in October. Anyone who has been has really liked it. Considering the other choices at/in/near Tarangire, I think Kikoti is a great choice. Oh ... wish I was going with you. I have to wait until October! Ouch! Have a great time. We used Roy Safaris for our Sept. 2002 trip and will be using them again for our upcoming trip. Their vehicles are in very good condition, professional guides and the company is big enough to have a nice fleet of vehicles, but still family run. Have a wonderful, wonder trip! Make sure you post upon your return.

Scout52 May 19th, 2004 12:35 PM

SusanLynne, Thank you for the info. I'll google Sopa and see what it says. We are truly looking forward to our trip and will post when we return.

Scout52 May 20th, 2004 10:27 PM

I got this answer from Sopa:
Thank you for your email.
With the exception of the kitchen building and the swimming pool, every
single structure and tent at Migration camp has been completely broken down
and rebuilt. The tents have all been redesigned and relocated to increase the spacing between the tents. The new tents are larger and more comfortable than the old tents. Effectively it will be a new camp.
I hope this brief description offers you a better idea on the on going
renovation and that you will stay at Migration Camp on your next visit.
Best regards
Louis

Sounds like the camp will be in superb shape

benjy2 May 28th, 2004 06:02 PM

We stayed at Kikoti Camp in March and loved it. Very personable, great tented accomodations (most luxurious of our journey) and the resident managers were very hospitable. Really no need for a safe deposit at Kikoti...so remote and all the employees are from the local tribe. Try the night drive. Only downside....its a very long journey from the main gate. Next to Ndutu Lodge, this was our favorite stop. Let us know how you like it. (If this is your last stop in Africa, we left shirts, pants and good tennis shoes with the rangers at the entry/exit stations in the park. They are paid very little and appreciated these small gifts far more than we do.)