Micato - World's Best Value

Apr 13th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Micato - World's Best Value

>>>>>From an e-mail I just received:

Dear Rocco,

In the March issue of Travel+Leisure, we are proud to say that Micato Safaris has been named "World's Best Value" in travel.<<<<<

Afterthought:

If Micato is the World's Best Value, then I am the World's Sexiest Man!
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Apr 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Patty,

Perhaps the person who gave Micato that award was not aware that all of the clients are not completely comped!

Afterthought:

1. Rocco
2. Matthew McConaughey (sp.?)
3. Brad Pitt?
Apr 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM

So you're the one who knocked Clooney off the list.
Apr 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM

You are sending me off to bed chuckling. I'll be watching for Rocco on the cover of People when the next sexiest lists are compiled. Wearing the safari vest, of course. A sexy image indeed!
Apr 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM

On a more serious note.

The fact that these lists of the so called "worlds best" are even looked at or quoted by any world travellers is the first error of travelling in my opinion. With that said Roccco, I am not meaning to be critical, but you too are guilty of this when for instance you rave about "Conde Naste" lists and then run down "Travel and Leisure" as an example. Funnilly enough on this board I too have quoted CN showing that the Cape Grace was high on their list however I simply did this to show that an error had been made on a previous quotation on this board about listings by I think it was you Roccco. Not sure about this.

Whatever one does one cant throw the line that CN is a more reliable or trustworthy source than lets say T&L because doing this is no different to setting up a new kind of list of whose list is the best list in the world etc.

Just a sideline comment is that these lists are generally totally disregarded by South Africans be it in our press or general way of living out our daily lives. I also find that most of the nationalities that I travel with seem to ignore these lists. I do seem to find that these lists play to the American market who seems to sucker for them hook line and sinker always trying to find the so called "best" which by my way of seeing things simply do not exist.

All in all it becomes a case of these lists are set up and eventually used by those on the lists as advertising to suit nothing other than their own pockets. The establishments on these lists scream like mad when they get onto the list telling you about their achievements however do they tell you when they are knocked off the list the following year? Methinks not.

The question is by whose standards are these lists set up and what makes John X think that because he has wonderful tastebuds that his selection of a restaurant allows him to place it on top of a so called "world list". I feel that there is no institution that can call itself the best in the world and moreso there is no group of people who can formulate these lists with any form of finality no matter what their authority. If you want to find out what establishments suits your needs then my suggestion is to listen to Fodorites who have travelled all over the world and take genuine, unbiased first hand advice from them. Leave the so called "best taggers" out of your travel planning procedures. As a matter of fact wherever I travel or whatever I suggest to my own visitors or even Fodorites I make it my business to try and find establishments that are not on these lists because all that they do is they add to the price tag purely because they are on the lists.

All of this unfortunately means that Roccco is not the sexiest man in the world. He might be the sexiest man in California but when it comes to a world tag there is someone more sexy than him in Cape Town South Africa.

Seriously speaking in summary I feel that all these lists are a lot of bunkum and suggest they be avoided like the plague.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Apr 13th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Well Selwyn,

I am just going to have to challenge you to a Hot Body contest next time I am in town!

About the list that you provided...I believe it was when I quoted Conde Nast Traveler as showing the Twelve Apostles to be the top hotel in Cape Town. Yes, you did produce another list from Conde Nast Traveler showing the top hotel as being the Cape Grace.

Well, we were both right...I was quoting the Conde Nast Traveller, UK Edition, and you were quoting the Conde Nast Traveler USA edition.

I do agree that these lists should not be taken as gospel, however, they are a good guide for the unfamiliar. I would have never even visited South Africa, at least not when I did, had I not seen that some place named Singita was voted #1 in the entire world. Here we are, five years later and Singita is still having that effect as I get enquiries from clients who are either going to stay at Singita or will hold off for another year in order to stay at Singita, rather than to come to South Africa and stay anywhere else.

In closing, I do fail to see the connection on how the unreliability of these lists somehow affects the list above that I am currently leading (ahead of Matthew McConaughey and Brad Pitt).
Apr 14th, 2006, 03:27 AM

I also recieved that same email from Micato to my dismay. I wondered how they got my email address.

In regards to the generalized statement that only Americans are sucked into using these lists - I have to say yes, your right, I do indeed use these lists as guidelines specifically for places to avoid. I'm sure that there's a clubby or follow the latest list group, of Americans and other nationalities who do use these very biased guides. If that's what they enjoy, all the power to them.

To say that it's only Americans caught up in this type of commercially driven travel is quite short sighted. I've done lots of traveling and have to say that I've seen all types of people from everywhere using thes guides. To say differently is a form of stereotyping that only creates divides.
Peace;
Sherry
Apr 14th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Hello,

I agree with Sherry in that Americans are certainly not the only people using these lists -- many people in the UK are obsessed with 'league tables' like this. Not a weekend goes by without a major newspaper or magazine publishing a new 'top ten' or 'what's hot' list. A write-up of a place in the Sunday Times or Conde Nast has a big impact, and people who contact Destiny Africa often do mention that they became interested in travelling to Africa because of an article they read somewhere. Even if they don't stay at the 'name' place, those lists do inspire people to think about going to Africa.

I think the hot lists can helpful in some ways -- they may showcase newer, lesser known properties and give them a boost.

The Conde Nast and T&L Reader's Choice lists do represent the opinions of their readers, which can be valuable or not depending on whether you fit their demographic. Some people use these lists as a way to find places that they think will fit them and be enjoyable to stay at (though others do simply jump on the bandwagon and follow the trend).

I don't agree that all properties listed on these lists should be avoided like the plague, or that they automatically become overpriced. Londoz has been on many top ten lists over the years, but remains one of the best values for money in the Sabi Sands. Mala Mala, another regular top-ten reserve, is also very good value for money -- MM's prices have remained unchanged for years.

I think that the one generalisation that is safe to make is that generalising about any nationality is, as Sherry rightly points out, very short-sighted.

Cheers,
Julian
Apr 14th, 2006, 06:01 AM
sandi

Give them no credit these past 8-years or so, rather laugh out loud, especially after receiving a call from Conde Nast in response to one of those questionnaires filled in.

Yes, they called, as I mentioned a particular hotel, that seemed to get many nods, but they wanted more specific info. Don't ask me today which hotel it was... believe it was somewhere in Provence.

Anyway, during the conversation, the CN rep actually mentioned that so many who reply have only walked thru a lobby or driven past a particular prop and become an expect.

We then discussed, just how many travel agents, tour operators and properties themselves, pay good money to be listed on the lists. So who's fooling whom?

When Zagat put together their first International Hotels guide, I reviewed their African/Middle East section and was amazed at some of the listings and comments... later to learn that most of the input came from travel agents.

So who's fooling whom?

The lists make good fuel for your fireplace or belong in trash bin.

But, Rocco... definitely on the top of that particular "best" list! And Selwyn should vie for position also.

Apr 14th, 2006, 08:26 AM

I can tell you 100% for certain that the reason I AM travelling with Micato has absolutely NOTHING to do with lists, or Conde Naste (which I can't read any more because I can't see anything in it but advertising).
I am travelling with them because I believe they have a good start-to-finish product and that I believe I will get 'no surprises'. I hate surprises. At 53, my days of being adventurous are over, now I like to know what I get.
Funny, I'm going with them, they have my email address and I NEVER get anything at all from them in the way of advertising - just emails with the answers to my one million questions!
Anyhow - just ONE person's opinion - must get off my soapbox and get into a sari for a friend's wedding who is getting married in an hour - I've practiced getting into that sari for 2 days now, but it will still time I think!
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Lynda,

But aren't you RELIEVED that you are getting the World's Best Value?

Apr 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I recently filled out the Conde Naste survey and none of the lodges I stayed at were even on the list. How do the choose which lodges to put on the list? Just curious how it worked...
Apr 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Hi Lynda,
Re:
emails from safari co.

I'll bet that due your organization skills you clean your cookies more than me .
I must remember to that more often.

Hope you don't get too tangled in the sari - enjoy the wedding!
Apr 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Back from the wedding (Sikh)- wow - that was something, incredible! Lots of people stopped me and said how nice it was I dressed up (I am as white and as blonde as they come) in such a beautiful sari. I did trip on it a few times though, Sherry, I should have read your warning before I went!

Yes, Rocco, I am RELIEVED it is the best , but would be MUCH better if I had the top three world's sexiest men with me! ;-).

They have actually been on that list for three years in a row now, so I kind of thought it was old hat by now. But I can see where any company would be proud to say they were on those lists - I'm sure in some way it really is an accomplishement. Who gives them the opinions I am never sure though which is why I, as a traveler, never pay any attention to them, but, as I say it would be something I would be proud of were my company on any list! (Lynda's - the BEST bookkeeping and taxes around! hmmmm..... maybe not...)

Anyhow, only 41 MORE SLEEPS and I will tell you first hand whether they are on the TOP of my list! So far so good in pre-trip info & goodies - no complaints yet!

PS. Sherry, I eat the cookies.
Apr 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Have a great trip LyndaS and report back your own findings on the trip. With Africa as the destination, I know you'll have many positive surprises--the thrilling and awe inspiring ones.

53 is wonderful age to start a love affair with Africa, with or without the sexiest men in tow.
Apr 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Well, Lynda is meeting me for dinner in London....

Cheers,
Julian
Apr 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM

On a final ironic note...guess what I found in my latest issue of Conde Nast?

Cheers,
Julian
Apr 15th, 2006, 03:54 AM

hmmm, a picture of...... Rocco perhaps
Apr 15th, 2006, 04:41 AM

What Julian, what? The suspense is killing me.

Search this Thread