Micato Tours

Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Micato Tours

My fiancee and I are thinking about going on a customized two week tour to South Africa in June through Micato. Any feedback on using Micato and any suggestions for such a tour?
Dec 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
sandi

Micato is a reputable company, but until recently has specialized primarily in East Africa. Now doing South African itineraries they will no doubt provide the same quality service.

That said, Micato is relatively expensive for their group tours as listed on their site - their customized tours will be more so; As many who post here, you will find you can get a better deal working with an in-country safari provider You may wish to contact some of those that get excellent reviews on this board, namely

Go2Africa
Taga Safaris
Pulse Travel

You can contact these companies thru their websites - tell them when, how long, where, and your budget and they should be able to come back with great recommendations. Once you receive a few preliminary itineraries, you can return here with any questions regarding accommodations, number of days, whatever. There will be more than a few who will have comments to help in your decision making.

Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:34 PM

I was going to write the same thing as did Sandi. I have gone on five safaris, including three in southern Africa, and have always booked with an Africa-based operator. With the advent of email and the internet, its extremely simple, and much more cost effective. On my two most recent safaris in South Africa, I worked with Taga Safaris, and they provided a lot of information, advice, suggestions, and best of all, a much lower price than I had been quoted by US-based operators (who frequently sub their trip to an operator in South Africa and add a substantial mark-up). It may make sense to get alternate quotes from local operators, like those listed in this post and elsewhere on this forum or from your own internet searches.
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:02 PM

We went with Micato this past June to Kenya and Tanzania. We liked the fact that our guide flew with us from camp to camp.

We appreciated little touches of his which I would never have thought to ask for myself. Things like extra hot water bottles for me and making sure my fire was kept especially stoked since I like to stay warm. He made special requests for certain tents for the varying needs of our group, passed along meal preferences/favorites from camp to camp. Little things that went a long way.

I was able to use the van and driver for an entire 'free' afternoon while hunting for certain items and found it invaluable to not have to worry about using a taxi from place to place or finding certain locations.

I noticed several times during our trip that other travellers experienced transportation difficulties. One couple had no one to meet them at the empty airstrip and had no phone or contact number. Another couple was asked to disembark from an extremely full flight in Tanzania because although the crew had attempted to allow them to fly to Kili, their agent had not booked them all the way and they would have to find their own way by road for the last leg of their trip.

There was no way to find out how these people ended up in those predicaments, but it was just one less thing to worry about knowing our guide was beside as the whole way.

Search this Thread