MICATO people (especially)- loo question

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

MICATO people (especially)- loo question

Ok, so of course you pick up after yourself (I have puchased biodegradable toilet paper and have biodegradable blue bags that I use to pick up after my dog) but WHAT DO YOU DO WITH IT THEN? There MUST be a pail in the vehicle to dump the blue bag (or whatvever) right?
Dumb question, but thanks.
Jess
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM

I have no idea about Micato, (athough I did take a great trip with them years ago.) But I was told in SA that there are regular bathroom stops and that the lodge staff actually returns to these spots and cleans up on a regular schedule..
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM

Hi Jess,

Hmmm. I didn't see one, but that's not to say there wasn't one up front! I took ziplock sandwich bags and threw that, sealed, of course in my pocket and then disposed of it in the garbage at the next garbage bin, or failing that - at the lodge.

Not long now for you!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it is suddenly REAL! I never quite believed it until now. I am about to work through your famous packing list, Lynda, for which I am oh so grateful. By the way, if I don't have someone take me to the airport and pick me up, or decide to shiver in fleece and sneakers, what to do with wintercoat (and maybe boots)once I get to Nairobi?
Jess
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM

Not a problem there, Jess. Take a fold up bag that fits in the bottom (flat) of your duffle bag. When you get to the hotel in Nairobi, put the boots, and the coat in the fold up bag, tag it, and give it to your safari director (I hope you get Daniel!), he will store it at the hotel. You will get it back on the last day when you have a dayroom at the same hotel. (are you at the Norfolk?) He will also ask you to put in whatever else you don't need for the safari.

Things that I put in - the second year I put in the slightly dressier clothes that I wore to the Pintos as we weren't going to Mt. Kenya Safari Club & didn't need anything even remotely dressy after the supper at the Pintos. They also gave us a very nice returning gift, which I put in there. The day we arrived I sent my 'travelling clothes' to the laundry, and also packed them in the bag I was leaving at the hotel.

Oh - and the basket that had the fruit in it that the Pinto's sent - the whole thing was wrapped and tagged to us from the Pintos, so I assumed the basket (very nice African woven basket) was ours to keep too, hopefully I wasn't wrong there!

Also things to amuse me on the plane for 18 hrs getting there went in there - a small cross stitch kit, and a 'refresher travel kit' for washing up in London. My book that I was reading came with me of course, as well as Spunky, my travelling bear.

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lynda- yes, I am at the Norfolk but then go on to Zanzibar and I think I go from there to my Nairobi departure - so perhaps I should ask Fran how that might work.
Jess
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:50 PM

No problem on that either. Is the extension with Micato? If so, your safari director will put you on the plane to Zanzibar, and then meet you to take you out for supper on the day you come back in between the flight getting back from Z'bar and you going out home in the evening. He will bring your case with him.

Last year, our flight from Z'bar arrived at 5:00 pm, Daniel met us at the airport and then had everyone back by 8pm. Jim and I didn't go for supper with them as we already had plans made with Kennedy, but the other person that purchased the extension did.

They REALLY do take care of you from start to finish so no worries there! Say hi to Fran for me when you talk to her - she's incredible, isn't she?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Lynda- yes, she sure is. A lot of my concern is that I am 5 feet, 112 pounds, and both before and after I am Micato's care, must do all my own schlepping!!! So I do a lot of strategizing to minimize the stress.
Jess