Search

Rocco's new photo album...

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocco's new photo album...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...p;sort_order=0

Okay, these pictures are pretty sorry, as they are my very first few with my new Canon 20D w/ 17-85mm IS lens, although I managed to seemingly somehow UNstabilize the lens for these photos!

Introducing Rocco's Canine Friends, a short 10 picture portfolio showing all but my two ugliest dogs.

I am barely learning how to use the camera so I do hope to see a lot of improvement in the next 16 weeks before my trip.

Out of the eight dogs shown, five of them were adopted, one of them (Scooter) was rescued from the pet store at nearly 9 months old, and two of them were born into captivity at my home!

Any helpful hints will be appreciated.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:38 AM

Are you pushing the shutter halfway and pausing to allow the camera to focus?

Also, there are several settings the camera has to set aperture and iso speed automatically. It may be helpful to use these.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

mpkp,

I am probably not doing what you suggested, but I will try doing so with my next photos.

I cannot believe how incredibly busy I have been lately...cannot even sneak away for a couple hours at the L.A. Zoo before they close at 5PM each day.

I will definitely be on a crash course on how to use a DSLR these next 16 weeks.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Rocco

There is a web site dpreview.com which has a talk section like this dedicated to different cameras. You have possibly already been there. I found that I picked up some helpful hints when starting out with my 20D.

Just practice practice practice is the most important thing.

Have fun!

J
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Hi Rocco,
I have no photo tips for you but I LOVE the dogs and the fact that you have opened your homes to these ten lucky dogs.
I hope when I am old and demented, (well more demented)and sitting in my chair at the old folks home that there will be dogs laying at my feet.
VERY COOL!
Yikes, I just love animals especially dogs. Scooter has some beautiful offspring..were they an accident?
I just got a new pair of binoculars today and have been running to the windows to look at birds all day thus getting no work done what so ever.
Good luck on with your new camera.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Brenda,

(Now that I am covering Batman & Biggies ears)....yes, unfortunately the puppies were an accident. The mother, Shy, not shown in the photos, is about 6 inches taller than Scooter, and I underestimated Scooter's determination, and figured that Shy was safe from getting pregnant from Scooter who is not more than about a foot tall.

Well, as the saying goes...where there is a will, there is a way, and on April 27, 2004, only three weeks before I left for Italy & Zambia, Shy gave birth to six puppies. My original intention was to give them all out to neighbors, but I am very picky and only found one appropriate family.

Unfortunately, two of the best looking puppies were stolen right from my front yard (they were in an enclosure)...probably someone that we had refused as an adoptive family.

After that, we abandoned all efforts to give the remaining three away, and Batman, Biggie and Dudley (not pictured) now have a permanent home with us!

Dudley, being the best behaved of the bunch, will likely soon join Jackie at one of the Alzheimer homes.

With all but the pet therapy dogs at under the age of 3, I will have my hands full for the next 10+ years, but it is very rewarding (but expensive) to have so many dogs!

Congratulations on your new binoculars.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Roccco - you have probably already checked into this, but after searching for a while I found a series of seminars in the DC area geared towards DSLR's. There might be similar seminars/workshops in your neck of the woods.

Tomorrow I am going to the one that is specifically for the 20D. And if that proves worthwhile, they have one specifically on f-stops, depth of field, etc. that I am considering.

I have played around a little with the camera on my own, but it will be good to get hints on how to use all the features from a professional photographer.
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:05 PM

eenusa -- I would like any info you could share on these digital camera seminars in the DC area (Roccco, sorry to hijack your thread -- your dogs are adorable!). After much research DH is probably going to buy a Minolta Maxxum (similar to the Canon 20D but has the image stabilizer built into the body so you don't need it on each lens, plus has a much larger LCD screen -- and it will work with all of the Minolta lenses he already has). We want to get as comfortable with it as possible before our upcoming trips to Greece in August and TZ in Nov. -- so maybe a class is the way to go...
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Lisa - check out this website - http://www.washingtonphotosafari.com/. I first came across a mention of them in the Washington Post a while back, and then found the website recently. If you'd like to post your email address, I'll be happy to share my impressions after tomorrow's seminar.
Old May 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Rocco:

Loved seeing the pictures of your menagerie! Very interesting animals.

The only question in my mind is how on earth do you manage to travel as often as you do with all these mouths to feed and care for?

Bet you get a super "welcome home" when you return from your travels!

Jan
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Jan,

I have a really excellent housekeeper/dog nanny, that has just returned after being absent for about four months. We just couldn't live without each other and now our dogs will be very well cared for during our September safari!
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Rocco:

You had me laughing. They have their own housekeeper/dog walker! Those are probably the most pampered pets going!

Glad for you though that you don't have to worry about them while away. Lets you enjoy your travels much more.

Jan
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM

AH, a corgi mix! We had a dog before we had children...and of course while they were young...who was a corgi/Springer Spaniel Mix. He was black and white with beautiful Springer markings, a white tipped tail, and when he stood up, corgi legs. We named him Bobby Riggs so some of you out there from my era will relate! He was a terrific dog. Full of personality and determination.
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Such cute little fellows. They'll offer some good practice shots and probably be harder to photograph than many of the relaxed cats in Africa.

Is your trip finalized yet, Rocco?

I bet your ugliest 2 dogs are not that homely.
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

atravelynn,

"Shy", the mother of the two youngsters,(Biggie & Batman) is so ugly that she is cute.

Shy is a sweet dog though and probably loves me more than any of the others. I think she is some kind of Shar Pei/Schnauzer (sp.?)/??? mix.

She is really not all that bad.

The other one not pictured, Dudley, really does not look much different than his brother and sister (Batman & Biggie), although he is not quite as cute. But, of the three, he is the nicest one and the best behaved one.

I think the ugly ones use their good behaivor as a survival mechanism, because the cutest ones, Scooter, Batman and Gunther do not even make an effort to behave!
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

I have an update on this album and it now includes my other two dogs, Shy & Dudley, as well as my neighbor's designer dog, King, and a few more photos of Scooter, who is a real ham for the camera and is always looking his best!

Also, I have a few shots from the L.A. Zoo from this past weekend using my Sigma 80-400mm OS lens, but unfortunately I did not even have my OS turned on, otherwise the photos would probably be sharper.

Lastly, totally off-topic, but I do have some photos of the Singita of Alzheimer's homes, one of three homes that my wife and I own and she runs.

Any constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Such nice doggies,and nice zoo pics, and so nice that you own alzheimer homes. I couldnt have imagined that. bye
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:45 PM

Roccco,
Would you like another to add to your menagerie? How bout a pair of rabbits?

I've somehow managed to find myself with both stray puppies and rabbits. First I spotted 4 abandoned pups on Memorial day weekend at a local park. I was able to get one of them adopted yesterday. Someone else picked up 2 of the pups and took them to the Baldwin Park shelter last weekend before I could get them. I just found out those 2 are scheduled to be euthanized tomorrow, so I'm going to go over there when they open at noon and hopefully spring them from death row.

I think they're some kind of pointer/dobie/lab mix and about 4 months old. Here's a pic of Chewie (short for Chewbacca cause she has a howl like a wookie) - the one that got adopted (also pics of Bunnie & Clyde).

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-x64mua

The others look like her except they're bigger. She was the runt of the litter. There's one more running loose that I haven't been able to catch. They're all females. Isn't that strange?

Then this past Friday night, I found 2 floppy eared bunnies at the same park (I've gotta stop going there). It amazes me how much and how constantly they eat. They're on a diet of timothy and oat/wheat/barley blend hay supplemented by carrot tops, broccoli, bok choy, cilantro, and a dozen types of gourmet lettuces (no iceberg!). Two days ago I knew nothing about rabbits and now I'm a rabbit expert My main goal is to get the pair spayed and neutered this week. My biggest fear being that I'll wake up to another dozen bunnies one morning!

Seriously, if you know anybody in the area that might be interested 1 or 2 large breed puppies or the bunny pair, let me know.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:52 AM

Patty:

If you need any help on bunny behavior, etc. check out rabbit.org -- the House Rabbit Society's website has a lot of good info (of course, looks like you already have plenty of good info given that you are feeding them such a wonderful diet). Also HRS might be able to steer you to a rabbit shelter if you find you cannot keep your rescues. DH and I own three happy houserabbits who are spoiled rotten. If you get any puzzling behaviors--the male spraying urine or the buns digging out their litterbox for example, drop me a line, I would be glad to help (or commiserate!)
([email protected])
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Thanks, schlegal1! I may email you later with some questions.