Message for ShayTay-Mara Trip

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Message for ShayTay-Mara Trip

Started a new thread for this. Answered you below.

Dana

Author: ShayTay
Date: 11/24/2007, 02:33 pm
Hey Dana! Yep, breakfast on the 10th MIGHT work, but our group will be at the Panafric Hotel. I'm not sure how early we'll be leaving for Amboseli that morning. I've stayed at the Fairview; I think you'd enjoy it. The Panafric is less expensive and I'm trying to keep our costs down in Nairobi, in order to "splurge" in the Mara. Are you spending all your time in the Mara? We're staying at the Royal Mara Lodge Sept. 16 - 18. The Mara Safari Club is upriver from the Royal Mara so we may bump into you on a game drive!

Author: DanaPhx
Date: 11/25/2007, 10:04 am
ShayTay -

We have not decided on a hotel in Nairobi for the evening of Sept 9th - if Panafric is less expensive than the Fairview that sounds good to me - all I need is a clean room and a shower. Looks like that hotel is about 18 miles from Jomo airport and only 6 miles to Wilson airport - couldn't see how far the Fairview is. I'll sort that out with my contact in Nairobi. We leave Sept 10th from Wilson at 10:00 am.

Staying at Kichwa Tembo Sept 10 thru the 23rd and staying at Mara Safari Club Sept 24th thru the 26th. So it looks like we will miss each other there.

I'll keep you posted as soon as hotel is finalized. If you are leaving for Amboseli out of Wilson on the 10th maybe we can at least say "Jambo" there?

Have you posted your itinerary here? Would love to see where you are traveling to.

Dana

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM

The Panafric is fine. It is a Sarova property, not as luxurious as the Sarova Stanley, but clean and decent. It is less than a mile from City Center. It has a nice restaurant, the Flame Tree, a small lobby and business services, plus a pool where buffet breakfast (included) is served. Unless it is for a special occasion, or to impress business associates, it is a very good deal for the money.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Hi Dana,

I just found this thread...sorry about the delayed response.

I've stayed at the Fairview and it was good, but it's more expensive than the Panafric and I don't plan to spend much time at the hotel. As KenyaTraveler says, it looks to be a good hotel for the money. If you stayed there, we could definitely connect, either the evening of your arrival or for breakfast the next morning. Then, I'd recognize you if I saw you on a game drive in the Mara.

Our itinerary is as follows:

9/7 - I arrive in NBO a day ahead of the group...staying at Panafric.

9/8 - Visit friends at Special Ministries and tour Kibera with them to visit sponsored kids. Group arrives in the evening. Panafric

9/9 - Tour Nairobi sights. Panafric

9/10 - Drive to Amboseli. Visit school on the way. Afternoon game drive. (Driving through the countryside is an excellent introduction to Africa for first-time visitors.) Ol Tukai Lodge

9/11 - Tour Amboseli. Ol Tukai Lodge

9/12 - Drive back through Nairobi and Highlands to Mt. Kenya NP. Serena Mountain Lodge

9/13 - Drive to Samburu. Afternoon game drive. Samburu Intrepids

9/14 - Tour Samburu Intrepids. Visit Samburu Village. Samburu Intrepids

9/15 - Drive to Sweetwaters Wildlife Sanctuary. Visit rhino and chimp sanctuaries. Sweetwaters Tented Camp.

9/16 - Fly to Masai Mara. Afternoon game drive. Royal Mara Lodge

9/17-18 - Tour Masai Mara. Royal Mara Lodge

9/19 - Fly to Nairobi. Day room at Panafric. Group departs for USA

9/20-23 - I go to Rwanda for gorilla trekking.

9/24 - Back in the USA!

I'm putting together a group with a maximum of 12 people in three vehicles...should be fun!

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi again ShayTay -

Thanks for posting your itinerary. Sounds like a great schedule and I'm sure you and the others will have a great time. Is this your first gorilla trek? I haven't done that so I live the adventure through others.

Duh, just cause your staying at the Royal Mara doesn't mean we can't run into each other in the Mara...what was I thinking!

I'm pretty sure we are leaning towards the Panafric, so as time gets closes - how many hundreds of days is that? I'll post our final schedule.

The only downside of going to Africa is the countdown to get there!

Dana
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM

Yes, let me know if you'll be at the Panafric. It would be fun to get together there. I'll look for your itinerary, or you can e-mail me directly at DIVEDIVE99 at aol dot com.

Who knows, we might just run into each other in the Mara. That happened to me once in Samburu. I met someone on the plane over and thought we were staying at the same camp. We were moved to a different place, but I still ran into her on a game drive.