Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Maybe all I need to get is a wide-angle lens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm borrowing a Canon Eos 30D with this lens:Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for my upcoming Botswana trip. We'll be at Savuti and Little Vum as well as visiting the Makgadikgadi in mid-late September.

I've dabbled w/photogrpahy in college but am not an avid photo enthusiast today though I am very familiar with digital graphics manipulation. I am interested in capturing wide , broad landscapes and not so much individual wildlife shots-though maybe I'll feel differently when I get there. This is my first safari so I don't know.

Will the above lens be good enough for this time around? If I don't pick up a zoom lens I'll probably go ahead and buy a wide-angle. If there is a strong recommendation that I pick up a more powerful zoom then I probably won't pick up an add'l wide-angle and just stitch panoramas with my Canon Powershot(probably the only other camera we'll bring with us.) I don't want to be too burdened with having to purchase and bring and handle so much photo equipment that'll be so new to me but I wonder if I'll sorely regret not making that effort when I arrive.

I know camera/lens topics have been picked to death here so I appreciate any input. It's not a question people can answer for other people but I'd like to hear what others personally think and feel-from real photogrpahers to just your average photo safari tourist.

TIA!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM

We used the Canon 17-85 for wide-angle building and landscape shots on our most recent trip to Africa (Ethiopia, Uganda and Rwanda) and we were happy with it. I would suggest some software method to fix geometric distortions at the wide-angle end, I use DxO Optics Pro for this.

The 17-85 is a very versatile lens, but does not compare (in terms of sharpness, contrast, etc.) to the more expensive options like the 17-55/2.8 or 24-105/4. And if you want something even wider than 17mm, you would need a Canon 10-22 or Sigma 10-20, or Tokina 12-24. But in practice, 17mm is very wide.

I have to say that I am quite doubtful that you will be satisfied without a telephoto to take pictures of wildlife while in Botswana. I would suggest you buy or rent the Canon 100-400, or the 400/5.6, or if you can spend more, a 300/2.8 or Sigma 120-300/2.8 with teleconverters. I am confident that you would be frustrated when you have a great opportunity to take a picture of a lion, fish eagle or whatever, and the 17-85 has nowhere near the reach to get the shot.

If you'd like to see our 17-85 pictures from Ethiopia, Uganda and Rwanda, you can find them at www.pbase.com/cwillis. Each picture has the lens used under it, but almost all of the landscape, people and building pictures were taken with that lens. Overall, with proper post-processing, I think the pictures come out very well. Then again, our emphasis is on telephotos to take wildlife pictures!

Chris
www.pbase.com/cwillis
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 09:07 AM

I think you will be kicking yourself all over Botswana if you go without a telephoto zoom lens. The landscapes are great, but you'll need the telephoto for the wildlife, especially the birds. There is a recent thread here about renting lenses. If the person from whom you're borrowing the camera doesn't have one, then I would suggest renting one. I have a basic 80 - 300mm image stabilized Canon lens that has served me well. It's fairly compact and easy to pack. If you only want to take one lens, then consider the Canon 28 - 200mm zoom. You could use a 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter with it, should you need to go longer.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM

I would concur with the above and I think you are going to hear this over and over again.... You will want to the reach of a longer lens. the 17-85 plus a 100-400 would be a great combo if you want to keep your gear to a minimum. Good luck and let us know what you decide on!~
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Lol-ok, well I certainly don't want to kick myself all over Botswana. Three whole-heartedly strong recommendations for the more powerful zoom is all I need, I guess. I have been looking at some of the very lenses recommended here so I guess little brother -from whom I'm borrowing the DSLR- will be getting a lightly used telephoto lens from Santa this year. (He will love it -I shouldn't have even hesitated getting it knowing I could pass it on.)

Thanks, feels good to have a definite direction on this. Chris-I loved your photos, very inspiring!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Buy or rent a 100-400mm L IS Canon Lens. The CAnon 30D is a nice body so you might as well make the most of it. If you buy instead of rent you can always sell it on the FM Forum for close to what you paid for it (minus perhaps $100). The quality of your images will remain long after you have forgotten the cost. Just be sure to practice before you go.
Regards-Chuck
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 03:09 PM

I definately think you will want more of a zoom lens. My hubby loves doing photography that generally centers around landscape type stuff except....in Africa. We take the best zoom we can with us every time!
Happy travels
J
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:53 AM

I have that 17-85 lens. Never once used it on a game drive as it was completely inadequate, but I did use it in camp and in Cape Town. I bought a Canon 100-400 IS lens for the trip and was thrilled with it. I should have some (unprocessed) photos posted tomorrow.

p.s. I took a point and shoot digital for those few situations when I needed less zoom (e.g. taking a picture of my mom sitting next to me with ellies in the background). I'm glad I took it, especially to take short video clips.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights.

I've switched my thinking again and am considering renting the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS. It should be manageable without a tri or mono-pod, correct?

Looking forward to seeing your photos, hills27.

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Yes, there were only a few situations where it would have been nice to have, but not enough to warrant dragging it out there. Not that there was a lot of room in the vehicle anyway.

I only bought the lens because I know use it a lot. Otherwise, I would have rented it.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM

There are also 18-200 Tamron and Sigma lenses that are compatible with Canon and although they aren't at the top end of lenses they give pretty good results for amateurs and avoid having to change lenses.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I'm hoping that once the 100-400 is on the body I won't have to/want to change lenses...at least not while on the safari portion?

I'll have my powershot for casual photos.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM

On safari, my 100-400 stayed on my camera 80-90% of the time. I would switch out was when something like a giraffe would get really close, in which case I would need something wider. I think a strategy of having your big telephoto on your main camera, and a p&s ready for any other needs works well. I take a second DSLR body for this purpose, but I've also done it with a p&s.

Like yourself, I prefer landscape photos to wildlife portraiture, but the opportunities are so great, that wildlife photography does tend to dominate. Wildlife does make for good foreground and background elements for a larger landscape, but you'll have time to switch lenses and compose for these shots.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 04:36 PM

I took two bodies (film Eos 3's) and carried them everywhere. It was he tele that got the most use, and also the go to outfit when action go hot and heavy.

The wide angle set up was used more sparingly and usually for set up shots--eg sunsets, camp, wide angle closeups. So, I think the best strategy is to keep the tele attached, and do the landscape, "sense of place" shots more at your leisure. It's a sure way to miss the shot when the wide angle is on when a a fish eagle swoops down for a kill. Sunsets hang around a little longer.

I just got a call from my camera shop. My 40d is supposed to come in tomorrow, so I should have plenty of time to get used to it before heading to Zambia the end of Sept. Yippee. Not sure what to do about a backup. used my 24-105 extensively on one body last year, but I am facing the same dilemma over which wide angle lens to use not.

I read a review on Digital Picture.com that was pretty critical of the new 14 mm lens. It actually preferred the 16-35mm zoom.

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Be careful about changing lenses out on a game drive. It's a surefire way to get dust on your sensor.

Also, I took someone's recommendation and bought a waterproof pillowcase for the trip. I wish I remembered who because it was the most useful thing I brought. Between sightings, I'd put the camera in the case (unzipped) on my lap. Not only did it keep the dust away, but it enabled me to leave the lens cap off so I didn't lose a shot because I took too long getting the lens cap off (not so easy to do quickly when you've got the hood on the lens, further complicated by gloves when it was cold).

On the way back, it's a great laundrey bag.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Oops...laundry.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM

One reason to have two camera bodies, wide angle on one, telephoto on other. The other reason is just to have a back-up body.
BTW, I got the "Sensor Loupe" made by VisibleDust - http://tinyurl.com/26ke6u
about $70 (not cheap) from B.H. and others. I'm impressed with it thus far, having it only about two months. In use, any surface dust particles pop out white against the sensor. Of course that still just tells you what it is at that moment. After I put the lens back on I make an image check for spots.

regards - tom
ps - just what I need, another gizmo to cram into my kit bag
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

You guys are fantastic-I really appreciate the detailed accounts of how it all comes together out there.

Cool inflatable pillow tip!
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM

I really like the pillowcase idea. I used a plastic garbage bag this year (LOL) and I had to wrap and hold it to ensure it didn't flap around and make noise. It was a pain.

Jim - I am envious that you are not only going back to Zambia but are getting a 40D!!!!!
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 02:36 PM

It wasn't an inflatable pillowcase, just a waterproof one with a zipper. I got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond (http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cge2w), but I believe the person who originally posted the idea got one at WalMart.

Sharon, the nice thing about it was that it didn't make any noise at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -