Message for hlg22---where is your trip report?

Jul 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Message for hlg22---where is your trip report?

Hello hlg22-
I printed your trip report from september 2007 but did not get to read all of it. Your trip is exactly the same as the on I leaving for this Satuday (except we only have 2 days at the falls) and I wanted to read your whole report before going. I tried searching for iy but no luck. Please send me the thread.
Thanks!
Jul 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM

enlehman,
Did you try to find the trip report on a trip report index? I don't know where you're going, but there is an index for East Africa and one for Southern Africa. Try putting Trip Report Index in the search box.
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:04 AM

or search on hlg22's screen-name.

Enter hlg22 in the search box on top of page, click search button. Threads containing input/replies/queries from hlg22 will appear in the left column.
Jul 29th, 2008, 05:56 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35068300

here you go, was just looking for this myself the other day.
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Hi enlehman76,
Sorry I just saw this but it looks like others have already helped you out. Let me know if you have any last minute questions. Enjoy your trip!
Jul 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM

hlg22's trip report is also in the Southern Africa trip report index (which needs to be updated so I think I'll top that other post about adding your report to the index) http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34858382
Jul 31st, 2008, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Hello hlg22 or anyone-
I was trying to look at pictures to get an idea of what we should be bringing, in terms of clothes, for our safari. I kniw what to wear during the day, but is it okay to wear that at night to dinner? It seems as if dinner is right after the PM game drive and there is not time to change anyways.
Please help!
Thank You.

Jul 31st, 2008, 05:18 AM

enlehman,
There's no need to change for dinner unless you want to. We did have a few minutes to freshen up in our rooms after the drive before heading to dinner, but I think it was only the last night that I changed into a nicer sweater - the others I just wore my fleece and khakis.
Jul 31st, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Hello Heidi-

Thank you so much for the reply. We are leaving this Saturday, and like you (I think you went in August/Sept time?) we are going to be dealing with many different climates so I am just trying to figure out what to bring.

I looked at your pics--we are about your age---we are both 32. Your trip so much parallels mine. My hubby and I are doing 5 nights at The Table Bay, 3 nights at Little Bush Camp in Sabi Sabi, 1 night at the Metcourt Laurel at the Emperor's Palace, and 2 nights at The Royal Livingstone. Then we are back to South Florida=home.

In VF, we are planning to do the Livingstone Island high tea tour upon arrival. The next day (our only full day) we are going to try to fit in the flying fox/gorge swing, maybe quad biking, microlights or helicopter---hubby weighs 240 so may weigh too much for microlights, and zim side tour (we are taking your advice and doing the zam side ourselves) and then at night we are doing the African Queen sunset cruise. I don't think we can fit all of these activities into one day, so we may do the zim side tour the AM before we leave to go back to JNB and then on to the USA. Any thoughts?

BTW, by reading your trip report, it sounds as if you live in the DC area? Both my husband and I have lived there. He is from NJ but went to Georgetown for college. I moved up there from Florida after college and lived both in Gaithersburg, MD and Rosslyn, VA. It is a great area! After DC I moved on to NYC--that is where I met my hubby.

Your trip report has been so helpful and was VERY well written. I cannot wait to get back and write mine for all of the first-timers as well. I plan to spend alot of time writing it and posting it both here and on tripadvisor.

Both of these websites have been so helpful and I am SO thankful to all of you for your many responses and advice. I have planned many trips for myself and this trip to SA has definitely been the most complicated. Someone needs to write a good book about african safari/SA travel and how to plan it---especially for people that like to plan trips on their own without much help from a TA---I think it would be too hard to do it b/c there are so many places to safari in Africa and so many beautiful places to see!

All of this planning has actually made me excited to just "sit" on a plane and relax--although I am sure after being on the plane for about 9 hours that I will change my mind!

Anyhows---thank you!
Aug 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM

enlehman, glad I could be helpful! It sounds like you are going to have a great trip. On packing, as you can see from the pics I did a lot of layering, the North Face zip up fleece (which was warmer than I expected) and/or a black cashmere sweater when it got cold. I also had a down jacket that I probably could have done without but was happy to have on a couple of occasions. The weather in the Sabi Sands was very variable while we were there - the first morning was pleasantly warm at 6 am, warming up to high 80s during the day, but the next was very chilly, we used the blankets in the vehicle, gloves, hat down jackets, etc. It did warm up again in the afternoon though. I know what you mean about the relief of actually getting on the plane after all the planning and packing!

It does sound like you have a very packed day in Vic Falls - I'm not sure how long the other activities you're planning take, but the tour of the Zim side of the fall took about 2 hours, with transit time and border formalities, as well as a quick stop at the Victoria Falls Hotel. Hope that helps - I would think it would be doable the morning you leave if you have an afternoon flight.

Oh, and I am indeed in DC - I live in Alexandria and work in the city so am very familiar with the Rosslyn area. Gaithersburg, not so much - I almost never get to Maryland!

Enjoy your trip! I'm glad you are planning to write a trip report, and I hope you and your husband get bitten by the Africa bug - I am anxiously counting down the days until my East Africa trip in November!