Message for eilidh

Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Message for eilidh

Are you back from your trip and if so will you be writing a report? I'd love to hear about Sand Rivers and Fundu Lagoon.
Aug 24th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Hi

Just don't have the time at the moment to write long trip report at the moment...sorry!

Suffice to say Sand Rivers was the most beautiful, fantastic, 'out of this world' place I have every stayed in and the Selous was wonderful. Did not see 1 other vehicle in the park for the whole week we were there. I have been to the main parks in Kenya and Tanzania where there are more animals but lots of vehicles.
Animals are harder to see in Selous partly because of the terrain but mostly because they are still very wary of vehicles and humans - they are just very unaccustomed unlike the northern parks where the animals look a little bored sometimes!...Give me the southern parks any day! The pilot and little plane that flew 5 of us to Selous from Dar was an experience which was unforgettable.

We still saw most animals including lots of wild dogs which you do not see in many places. We did walking safaris and camped out for 2 nights in the middle of nowhere. Our guide was the best, the food and service at Sand Rivers was great....imagine sitting down to breakfast watching the hippos in the lake and a few crocodiles slipping into the water from the sandbanks. It is heaven!!!
Fundu Lagoon was very nice, but bascially could not match up with Sand Rivers. Food and accommodation are good, and staff friendly...snorkelling and diving are OK. Perhaps we should have gone to Fundu first and would have felt differently.
Sorry for the rambling nature of this report. This was the best safari experience ever!!!
Aug 24th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that Eilidh - glad you had such a great time. We are going to both places in September and can't wait. We did consider going to Sand Rivers last but in the end it was easier to leave Fundu Lagoon to last to fit in with the rest of our itinery. Still, it will be nice to relax on the beach after 8 nights of safari (3 in Sand Rivers).Really looking foward to it!

Search this Thread