Mena House rooms and Cheops access

Apr 19th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Brett

Mena House rooms and Cheops access

Hi, my wife and I are going to Egypt in early May 2001 and we are staying at the Mena House in Cairo. We are really looking forward to our trip and we want to do everything right.
My questions are these:
* at the Mena House are we better to have a room in the Garden Section or the Palace Section? Priority is not so much on cost as on room quality, quietness, and Pyramid view.
* I heard that the Egyptian authorities have restricted internal access to Cheops to 300 people per day. Any tips for ensuring we get a ticket - do we need to get up before sunrise and start queuing, would we be better to go for the afternoon slot - or is it no problem at all.
Any helpful info anybody has on the above Qs welcomed - thanks very much, Brett

Apr 19th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Pam

Brett,

I know that the rooms in the Palace Wing are much nicer, but also much more expensive. Don't know about the Cheops.

Pam

Apr 19th, 2001, 07:38 AM
RichB

If price is no object, Pyramid view Palace rooms are definitely the way to go, although the gardens are beautiful also and even a Garden Section Garden view room is very nice.

Apr 20th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Andy

I'm confused by the replies as we paid extra to have a Pyramid view from the Garden Section. Others in our group were in the Palace and wished they'd followed our line!

Apr 20th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Don

We were in Egypt in March at the Cheops at 9 am and the 150 tickets to go in were sold out, we didn't try for one of the 150 afternoon ones.

Apr 21st, 2001, 06:53 PM
Don

We were in Egypt in March. Our tour arrived at Cheops at 9 a.m. and the 150 tickets for the morning entrance were gone. We didn't try for the 150 afternoon as we weren't going to be there.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:21 AM
Brett

Thanks, its clear we will have to line up very early to get the Cheops tickets.
But for the Mena House it is unclear - two votes for the Palace section and one for the Garden section. Thanks all for your replies, and if anyone else has something on the Mena House rooms or Cheops then please let me know - we leave in a week. Thanks, Brett

Apr 23rd, 2001, 09:04 AM
gail

We returned from 10 day tour yesterday. Spent 2 nights at Mena House - Garden section with pyramid view. Room was a little "tired", but that added to charm. Service great. Our guide got us to pyramids when they opened and all who wanted to got to go inside pyramid. Tours only 1/2 hour later did not. I'm glad to have gone in, but passed on the climb to the tomb room - a climb several flights up, crouched over on a 45 degree ramp incline to see a hot, empty room. If you are claustrophobic, pass. I stayed at the entrance level about 100 feet in - still amazing! Have a great trip - it is the most amazing travel experience I have ever had. You may email me with specific questions.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:30 AM
Pam

Brett-

Basically with the garden wing your room will be similar to a room at a Holiday Inn or similar. In the palace wing you will actually be staying in an historical palace room. The only reason to stay in the palace wing is for the 'romance' of staying in a 'palace' room. One thing to consider is how much time you plan to spend in your room...

Pam

Search this Thread