Mena House Oberoi (Cairo) - Palace Rooms

Jan 15th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Mena House Oberoi (Cairo) - Palace Rooms

Hello,

As my boutique hotel search seems to be turning up no options in Cairo, I'm looking at Mena House for at least part of my stay in Cairo. I know that the Garden Wing rooms aren't much to write home about, but I haven't been able to find any detailed reviews of rooms in the Palace Wing. Has anyone here stayed in the Palace Wing? Is a Superior room worth the extra money?

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

ttt -- surely someone has stayed here?

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM

I stayed in the Garden Wing and its like a Holiday Inn, albeit one with a stunning view. But, how much time do you spend in the room on vacation -- its fine: clean, good location, satellite TV.
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:53 AM

I have no idea the wing name of my room was - but it was not a Holiday Inn type room - it had lots of old, dark wood, built in furniture that looked authentic and old, balcony with pyramid view. It was in a building in back of property near gardens and pool. A wonderful experience on our first nights in Egypt.
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Every part of The Mena House which we used -- our room, the main public rooms, the restaurants, etc. -- were superb. Clean, well-maintained, some even were striking. The grounds are magnificent. The views of the Pyramids made us catch our breath. The security was evident and abundant. Don't let anybody kid you -- the wing out beyond the pools is no Holiday Inn. We found ours to be modern, clean, and quiet.
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback everyone -- the main reason I want to stay at Mena House is for the historic atmosphere, particularly as we probably will be spending a reasonable portion of our time (during the hottest part of the day) at the hotel. Luxury per se isn't as important as character (if I was after luxury, we'd be at the Four Season First Residence across the road). It sounds like the Palace Wing should fit the bill.

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

BTW, do any of you recall what the smoking situation was like at the Mena House? I have asthma and I'd like to find out if it is possible to request a non-smoking room, and if there are non-smoking sections in the restaurants and other public areas.

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM

It sounds like Gail had one of the much nicer rooms in the old part of the hotel. Even if you are forced to stay in the newer wing, as I was, you still have access to the pool, grounds, restaurants, main building that was the former hunting lodge, etc. But, since you have time, you most likely can get the nicer rooms in the older building.

Sorry, don't recall the smoking situation, but I haven't been there since 1997 (and the rooms certainly could have been upgraded since then, but there certainly wasn't anything historic about my room at that time).

That being said, I would stay there again without question -- it has one of the best locations of any hotel in the world. The pyramids are within eyesight at alll times -- it doesn't get better than that.

Michael
Feb 5th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Just got back from Egypt last weekend and spent three nights at the Mena House. We spent the first two days of our tour in the new wing with a pyramid view and our last night in a palace room with a pyramid view (Room 810). The ambience of this hotel was something I will never forget. It was like stepping back into the 1940's. The service was top drawer and the food was great in all of the restaurants. The night in the palace room was wonderful. Fresh fruit and cookies, cozy slippers and the best hotel pillows in two weeks awaited our return from the pyramids. We left the hotel at 4:30 a.m. to return to Canada, but didn't sleep as we spent almost the entire evening standing on the balcony enjoying the view and reflecting on a perfect holiday. Highly recommend it. P.S. Their soap and moisturizer are so nice I wish I thought to bring some home!
Feb 5th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, Nicky. Could you provide a bit more detail on what your Palace room was like (what floor it was on, size, furnishings, decor, bathroom faciltiies)? Did it have a balcony for viewing the pyramids?

Did you notice anything about the smoking situation at Mena House? They have booked a non-smoking room for us, but I was wondering what it was like in the rest of the hotel.

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM

We stayed in the palace wing and had a decent size room(odd shaped) for 3 of us with a huge balcony facing the Pyramids and it was wonderful, especially if you will be relaxing at the hotel during the middle of the day. They have a beautiful pool and lovely grounds and the atomsphere is a true oasis. We are very sensitive to smoke also and I don't remember having any problems. There is a good Indian restaurant at the hotel too. They left lots of surprises(sweets) in the room for us which was really nice.
Feb 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Our room was on the first floor of the Palace wing. We had a small balcony that faced the pyramids with the gardens right outside our door. Decent sized room with a King size bed and a small sitting area. The bathrooms were clean and well appointed. We took pictures of our view and the room - I'd be happy to email them. Be sure to take a full walking tour of the hotel, they have some of the most amazing chandeliers.

I didn't really have a problem with the smoking sitution. For the most part when we sat down for dinner they asked if we preferred smoking or non-smoking.

Between the service and the ambience, you will truly love it.
Feb 6th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Hello Nicky,

I'd love to see your pictures. Could you email them to jasher AT well.ox.ac.uk? Replace AT with @.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread