men kissing on the lips/greeting/gestrues

Mar 18th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

men kissing on the lips/greeting/gestrues

I'm very interested to find out what middle eastern countries there are where men greet by quickly kissing on the lips. I'm not talking about gays. I'm talking about a custom or greeting gesture. It's not imoral because it's a quick kiss.
Mar 18th, 2005, 04:21 PM

zwag...just wondering...at what point does it become immoral? Perhaps more than half a second? What if in that first half second a little tongue accidentally slips out?

Okay, sorry for being gross. Anyway, I prefer things the American way...a handshake! But I have married into a Middle Eastern culture and while this one doesn't have its men kissing on the mouth, it does have them kissing perilously close to the mouth, and I hate it everytime...if anything the men are likely to kiss each other closer to the mouth in greeting than they are to kiss the women near the mouth.

This is a custom practiced by at least Persians, but probably with quite a few other Middle Eastern cultures, as well. My wife's family is Assyrian, the Christian minority in Iraq / Iran and other countries (mostly Iraq).

Jan 17th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

A long time ago, someone on another forum told me I needed to appalogize for asking this question. I'm sorry.

Search this Thread