Notices

Meknes and Volubilis

May 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Meknes and Volubilis

Will be traveling to Morocco this coming fall. Have read mixed reviews about visiting Meknes and Volubilis. Possibly better to spend that time exploring Fes?
Appreciate some thoughts.
Thanks
May 16th, 2011, 04:57 AM

www.riaddor.com

my fav place to stay there an awesome town

environs better more spiritual authentic vibe

for me than Fes for me...

Think I paid 40 euro/nt for a great room there

a few years ago best I recall.

Happy Travels!
May 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM

If you're short on time I'd opt for Fes. I found Volubilis very disappointing - it suffered badly in the 1775 Lisbon earthquake. Meknes was OK, but the sights don't match up to the medina in Fes.

For my Morocco TR see http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...can-medley.cfm and pix (including Volubilis and Meknes) see http://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/L...d-Morocco-2008
Jun 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM

I live in Fes, but enjoy visiting Meknes. The two towns have distinctly different characters. Fes is more serious, Meknes more frivilous - in fact it reminds me of Marrakech a few years ago. You can also visit more of the historic buildings in Meknes; for example, you can get inside Moulay Ismails mausoleum, whereas you can only peer through the door in Fes at Moulay Idriss' tomb. The underground prisons are also fun.

I've had clients from Rome who have enjoyed Volubilis. Yes, it's another Roman ruin, but it's a vast site. Treat it as a nature ramble with some interesting ruins thrown in - and some extraordinary mosaics.

Search this Thread