Reload this Page >

Still looking for Livingstone accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:27 PM
adeewebstr

Strange - I just posted to ask about Maramba River Lodge, but I don't see it. Either I messed up, or this is a partial repeat! As I said in my missing post: although my husband and I would enjoy staying at one of the luxious lodges if we were on our own, I really don't want to pay those rates for our 3 teenagers! I saw two fairly basic but close to the Falls and Livingstone (for all the "adventure" stuff the kids want to do) places and wondered if anyone knew anything about them. One is the Maramba River Lodge, and the other is The Zambezi Waterfront.

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I could help, but I haven't heard much about this place. It certainly doesns't look bad on the web. You could do a Maramba Lodge review google and see if anything pops up...

Good luck!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:46 PM

If you are looking for cheap but comfortable, go to the Zim side. Sprayview Hotel-about $45
Lots of more expensive choices after that.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:36 PM

We stayed at Fawtly Towers Backpackers, in Livingstone. You can request your own private room with private bathroom. It was fine, stayed there in 2003 it is in the centre of town so you can walk everywhere. Also you can book all your activities from Fawtly Towers which we did, worked out great, would stay there again. Look it up on the internet, under google search type in Fawtly Towers Africa.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
adeewebstr

Once again, I posted and it didn't show up - or at least not yet - this may be a double post, though. Anyway, I googled Maramba and only found a fairly old review that liked it apart from not having en-suite rooms. I think there are some in-suite chalets now - will check. As part of that I also something on the Livingstone Safari Lodge - does anyone know anything about that. Luangwablondes - our stumbling block there is Mugambe. Although I know the local people would benefit from our dollars, we just can't do it. christraveller, I just checked out Fawlty Towers. I had seen it mentioned as a backpackers' hostel - and highly rated - but I had not thought of it as a family spot. I'll check into it. Thanks everyone.

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Too bad about that restriction. The Europeans are coming back to Zim though. Maramba River and The Waterfront can have a lot of overland and self drive traffic. Different clientel then what you are used too. More my speed as in price range(I travel for months-year at a time)- but I prefer across the river with an a/c room and friends. But with teenagers these places would be fine. Maramba River is the better of the 2. Not the rowdy crowd that can pitch up the Waterfront.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:03 PM
adeewebstr

Well, Fawlty Towers doesn't recommend itself for families - that solved that problem. Now I'm down to Maramba River Lodge, which does and sounds nice, and what our travel agent recommended but I haven't been able to find out much about (looks nice, but farther out and we "might need a 4X4 to get over the last bit of road - although they do cart you around, I think) Bushbuck River House. I asked about this earlier, but no responses - it seems like most Africa forum Fodorites tend towards more up-scale places? Anyway, Luangwablondes - have you heard of Bushbuck River Lodge?

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Hello,

Get a copy of the Bradt guide to Zambia or the Bradt guide to Botswana -- both of them include a section on Livingstone which includes a wide range of accommodation, including some less expensive places. If you stay somewhere which is not on the river bank, it will be less expensive as well.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM

There is Taita Falcon, but haven't heard of a Bushbuck River Lodge in/near Livingstone. Either way your getting into a possible transportation inconvenience.Thats just one more reason I like the Zim side. You can walk around to most places. Sorry about beating a dead horse. Have a hard time believing that the few dollars the tourists would spend in VF is going to help Uncle Bob and the billions Zim needs.