Flight from Jerusalem to Amman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to fly from Jerusalem to Amman or are there only flights from Tel Aviv? We will be leaving Jerusalem for Petra and from what I've read on other threads, the Allenby Bridge crossing seems to be a nightmare. We were going to be met by a driver at Allenby but if we could fly from Jerusalem to Amman it might be easier.

jenhack
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:14 AM
africnow

Hi Jen,

You can only fly from Tel Aviv - but the airport is only a 20-30 min drive from Jerusalem depending on traffic.

The other alternative is to fly (again from Tel Aviv) to Eilat and cross the border there which is much, much easier.

It might really be easier to get to Petra from Aqaba than from Amman. Check out this site:
<http://www.jordanjubilee.com/>
It has all the info you could ever want or need on Jordan.

Have fun!

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion! Our tour ends in Jerusalem and we are "breaking away" to Petra but the rest of the tour are returning to Tel Aviv for their 6 am return flight to South Africa so we could go with them.

I've had a look at jordanjubilee.com and I'm looking forward to going through it in more detail later.

What I can't seem to find on the net is the distance to Petra once I cross the border from Eilat. The Jordan Jubilee site mentions a three hour bus trip, but I would imagine it would be shorter with a private vehicle?

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:37 AM
africnow

Hi Jen,

I'm an Israeli and I really don't know much about Jordan. I do know that there are taxis right there on the border in Aqaba after you cross, which would make life a lot simpler. As I understand it they even wait for you if you want.

You might also like to write directly to Ruth on her site, or on the ME branch of the LP: <http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...m?catid=18>

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:17 AM

We went to Petra from Eilat, with Red Sea Sports (http://www.redseasports.co.il/). It was a minibus, and I recall the drive being about 2 hours. I would be wary of just planning to cross the border and find a taxi. When we did it over the summer, there was not a taxi in sight.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM
africnow

Yes, if you prefer a guided tour, which may well be worthwhile in Petra, there are a number of agencies in Eilat. One which has a particularly good name is: www.desertecotours.com/English you can also google it. Try, for instance, "Petra tours Eilat Israel" (without the quotation marks.

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input. The current arrangement was that we would be met at the border bost at Allenby by a driver from Petra Moon Tours; so based on all the comments, I think my next step would be to see if they are able to meet me at Aqaba instead. It also depends on what hours the Aqaba border is open.

Thanks again,
Jen

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
africnow

Do check with them.
Also this site might interest you:
http://www.ahalan.co.il/Product.asp?...0&Cat2ID=0

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM

Just to point out that if you want to cross into Jordan at the Allenby Bridge crossing you must have a valid Jordanian visa as they aren't issued at that border crossing