Means of Communications throughout Kenya

Dec 27th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Means of Communications throughout Kenya

Travelling to Kenya In late January 2012-can anyone tell me whether or not in the Sarova Shaba, Sarova Lion Hill lodge and Sarova Mara tent camps there are wireless options or other options to contact home? We are not bringing a cell phone or Ipad and want to be able to call or contact family. How much would a cheap unlocked phone cost at the airport to have for a week and does it make sense to even bother? Thanks!
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:03 AM

Skype works great for me currently or www.mobal.com in past.
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:42 AM

Here's an option. In advance, ask your agent/outfitter if you can use the guide's cell phone for a couple of quick calls home. Offer to have the guide buy a phonecard for you with your funds or pay the guide directly for minutes used. Have this set up in advance. Sometimes the guide would have a laptop that would work in some places too, for email contact.

This arrangement has worked for me but my contacts home have been short one minute calls every 3-4 days--not lengthy conversations.

In fact, often my call time has been short enough that the guide just says the call is complimentary. I usually add on more for the tip then.
Jan 10th, 2012, 10:30 PM

The airtel network is quite good while on safari in Kenya.Some lodges/guides are good enough to give you phones to use for the period of your stay so that you just buy airtime and load then you make calls as much as you can.
You may also buy an handset at about USD 20-35 for your use during the period of your stay.
Cheers

Search this Thread